Re: [SCA-JML] true or false details

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 1, 2006
      David Williams wrote:
      > A few day ago I had asked about whether Samurai always carried their swords with them. The reason I had asked is I am thinking about dressing in japanese garb for an event and court will be held. So was wondering about staying in "character" and what would be proper.
      > I am trying for a Muromachi period around 1550.
      >
      > Just trying to figure out what is proper.
      > Thanks,
      > Cristen

      I thought someone answered, but, IIRC, proper etiquette would be to
      leave the katana at the door, keeping the wakisashi with you. When you
      approach the throne, you either remove it and leave it at your
      seat...or, if you are in fealty to the Crown...and have Their
      permission, continue wearing it. When my lord occasionally wears
      Japanese garb, this is his practice...and I believe it is correct for
      your period.

      Kiri

      --
      Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
      As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

      -- Audrey Hepburn
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 6, 2006
        > > Greetings from Solveig! Kyudo practitioners wear two gloves, but they
        > > are different. One is for holding the bow while the other is for
        holding
        > > the arrow.
        >
        > No, we don't. There's only the one glove in kyudo. At least,
        > MODERN kyudo that is.
        >

        > Effingham

        Stone's Glossary shows three *pair* of gloves labled yugake (as well
        as 5 or so right-hand-only yukage) and comments that the bowhand was
        sometimes covered with a glove with maille-lining.

        Otagiri