Kimono, Strach, and laundry

  • JESSICA DODGE
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      I have been doing some experimenting latley with rice starch. Not the kind One can buy in the store, but a heartfelt felt attempt at home made stuff. I have to say I am please with my elemantary results. I still have a long way to go with amounts, and getting the excact science of the thing.

      I may have asked this question before on this list. Frankly, I don't rememeber. So I will asked it agian.

      Is there any documentation on period Japanese Laundry techniques? Documentation that includes the use of starch would be helpful.
      Thank you,
      Hotaru

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006

        Greetings from Solveig! You will not like premodern Japanese laundry
        techniques. To launder something, they would first take it apart,
        then wash it,
        then stretch the cloth on boards, then sew it back together. Sizing
        might be added during the washing process. Simply stretching the
        fabric on
        boards will stiffen it a bit. Japanese garments are folded and
        stacked for storage. A traditional technique is to fold your kosode,
        put a futon on top
        of it, and sleep on top of the futon. Remember that undergarments are
        the one ones which are washed the most and might even be washed without
        taking them apart. However, I would expect them to be carefully
        folded as well.