Re: Some garb questions

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:

      > I have a few questions. A friend who also does a Japanese persona
      > (although slightly later period) said that your kimono should be
      > pulled back from the neck so that it and a bit of your upper back is
      > exposed; however, some of the reading I've done suggest this was
      > only done quite later one (like post 1600). Which is right?

      Scandale! Respectable women do not show their necks in our period.
      Your hair should be down (loose or in a ponytail) covering your neck
      and your collar should lay flat against the nape. "Nape cleavage" is
      an Edo period development and the laws of physics make it impossible
      to do in a 16th century kosode with a 2 inch wide obi. I guarantee
      that as soon as you attempt moving, your kosode will slide forward
      where it belongs. Yes, I've actually tried it to see if it would work
      and it doesn't - unless you're wearing a wide enough obi to anchor
      your kosode and prevent it from sliding forward or gapping open when
      you move.

      > My second question is about hats. I finally gave up trying to find a
      > hat here that is wider than my shoulders (damn shoulders!) and ordered
      > the biggest gasa hat I could find from Japan (it should get here in a
      > week, I'm so excited!) to which I will be "hanging curtains". How do I
      > attach the atamadai to the hat, then to me? I really don't want to sew
      > it into the hat in case I damage it somehow. For the curtain part,
      > Saionji no Hanae suggested pinning it into the brim, is there any
      > other way to do so? And the dangly cords (sorry, I forget the name)
      > that hang on the outside, does it matter what colour they are, and
      > what would be a good material (if I can't get Kumohimo) to make them
      > out of?

      If you got it from the place I got mine, it should come with a ring
      inside and instructions on attachment of the atamadai. You should be
      able to sew loops around the ring itself to attach the thing.

      Pin or sew the veil in place. (Jedi Mind Trick Begins: There are no
      glue guns. There are no glue guns. There are no glue guns.) Pin or
      sew the cords. 3/8" cotton or nylon rope is available in any decent
      hardware store.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West