Some garb questions

  • mistresschief
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Greetings all!

      First I want to say thank you to everyone for all the help I've gotten
      so far.

      I have a few questions. A friend who also does a Japanese persona
      (although slightly later period) said that your kimono should be
      pulled back from the neck so that it and a bit of your upper back is
      exposed; however, some of the reading I've done suggest this was only
      done quite later one (like post 1600). Which is right?

      My second question is about hats. I finally gave up trying to find a
      hat here that is wider than my shoulders (damn shoulders!) and ordered
      the biggest gasa hat I could find from Japan (it should get here in a
      week, I'm so excited!) to which I will be "hanging curtains". How do I
      attach the atamadai to the hat, then to me? I really don't want to sew
      it into the hat in case I damage it somehow. For the curtain part,
      Saionji no Hanae suggested pinning it into the brim, is there any
      other way to do so? And the dangly cords (sorry, I forget the name)
      that hang on the outside, does it matter what colour they are, and
      what would be a good material (if I can't get Kumohimo) to make them
      out of?

      Whew! That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance, wishing
      you all a lovely day!

      (hopefully soon to be) Katou Tatsuko
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:

        > I have a few questions. A friend who also does a Japanese persona
        > (although slightly later period) said that your kimono should be
        > pulled back from the neck so that it and a bit of your upper back is
        > exposed; however, some of the reading I've done suggest this was
        > only done quite later one (like post 1600). Which is right?

        Scandale! Respectable women do not show their necks in our period.
        Your hair should be down (loose or in a ponytail) covering your neck
        and your collar should lay flat against the nape. "Nape cleavage" is
        an Edo period development and the laws of physics make it impossible
        to do in a 16th century kosode with a 2 inch wide obi. I guarantee
        that as soon as you attempt moving, your kosode will slide forward
        where it belongs. Yes, I've actually tried it to see if it would work
        and it doesn't - unless you're wearing a wide enough obi to anchor
        your kosode and prevent it from sliding forward or gapping open when
        you move.

        > My second question is about hats. I finally gave up trying to find a
        > hat here that is wider than my shoulders (damn shoulders!) and ordered
        > the biggest gasa hat I could find from Japan (it should get here in a
        > week, I'm so excited!) to which I will be "hanging curtains". How do I
        > attach the atamadai to the hat, then to me? I really don't want to sew
        > it into the hat in case I damage it somehow. For the curtain part,
        > Saionji no Hanae suggested pinning it into the brim, is there any
        > other way to do so? And the dangly cords (sorry, I forget the name)
        > that hang on the outside, does it matter what colour they are, and
        > what would be a good material (if I can't get Kumohimo) to make them
        > out of?

        If you got it from the place I got mine, it should come with a ring
        inside and instructions on attachment of the atamadai. You should be
        able to sew loops around the ring itself to attach the thing.

        Pin or sew the veil in place. (Jedi Mind Trick Begins: There are no
        glue guns. There are no glue guns. There are no glue guns.) Pin or
        sew the cords. 3/8" cotton or nylon rope is available in any decent
        hardware store.

        Saionji no Hanae
        West