Compleat Anachronist #80?

  • deanna.baran
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      I've been lurking for a while and have enjoyed the conversations. I'm
      interested in possibly pursuing a Heian persona, and wanted to find a
      copy of the Compleat Anachronist #80 to help with my costuming.
      However, it seems to be out of print at the Marketplace and I can't
      find any used copies at any of my usual online book haunts.

      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Thanks,
      -Deanna
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "deanna.baran" <deannabaran@...> wrote:

        > I've been lurking for a while and have enjoyed the conversations. I'm
        > interested in possibly pursuing a Heian persona, and wanted to find a
        > copy of the Compleat Anachronist #80 to help with my costuming.
        > However, it seems to be out of print at the Marketplace and I can't
        > find any used copies at any of my usual online book haunts.

        It was my understanting that it is no longer in print because the
        author wanted it to be - newer information can be found at
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com in her Japanese section.

        Here are some links on Heian that I've previously posted here.

        Stand back:

        http://www.takata-courtrobe.co.jp/en1.htm
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
        http://www.suginocostumemuseum.com/collection/j_isho/ie.html
        http://www.tokyodv.com/culture/HinaKimono.html
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch14.html
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Irome.htm
        http://www.wodefordhall.com/display.htm

        These are in Japanese, run them through a translation engine like
        Google Translate:
        http://www.kariginu.jp/

        Best source in English is Liza Dalby's "Kimono: Fashioning Culture" as
        it contains a chapter discussing a 12th century manuscript instructing
        an Empress on what to wear in which seasons.

        Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
      • deanna.baran
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
          Thank you for the links. :o) I've been faithfully combing the archives
          for leads on Heian costuming, and Dalby's on order with ILL. Since I'm
          as good with a needle and thread as I am with plants, I wanted to do
          all the reading I could before I took out my scissors, and was hoping
          that CA 80 would magically turn out to be something like "Kouchiki for
          Dummies." :o)

          One of the interesting things I gleaned was that all of the layers are
          the same size, and that the outfit works because you're skillfully
          dressed. (I think I had read that in reference to the Dalby book?) For
          anyone who's tried to go the uchiki/kouchiki route, do you have any
          warnings regarding possible pitfalls?

          -Deanna
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "deanna.baran" <deannabaran@...> wrote:

            > One of the interesting things I gleaned was that all of the layers are
            > the same size, and that the outfit works because you're skillfully
            > dressed. (I think I had read that in reference to the Dalby book?) For
            > anyone who's tried to go the uchiki/kouchiki route, do you have any
            > warnings regarding possible pitfalls?

            Small steps and small, deliberate movements will stand you in good
            stead. You cannot stride around like you do in jeans and a T-shirt.
            Allow the clothing to wear you. When I'm in wafuku, particularly my
            court kit, my posture is straight, but my shoulders stay relaxed and
            dropped. Get a fan - it will allow you to hide demurely AND it will
            help keep you cool under multiple layers.

            Walking in nagabakama takes a little practice. Small steps. Don't try
            to turn around in place or you'll clothesline yourself. Think of
            yourself pulling a trailer behind you and turn in a small circle that
            allows you to drag your hems around the circle so you don't end up
            standing on them. And be resigned to the fact that your hems will
            inevitably be trod on by someone else.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! ALL (except for the sex issue) of CA are
              supposed to be
              continuously in print. If the SCA central can not supply a copy of
              CA, try contacting
              alban (AT) socket (DOT) net and see if he has a copy. He stocks all
              SCA publications.