Yugake

  • men_yoroi
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 30, 2006
      I am trying to understand the design of gloves worn with a suit of
      armour.
      "Tanki Yoriaku" calls them Yugake which as I have seen are only for
      archery. Searching for patterns only brings patterns for the right
      hand. What was the left hand pattern like (I assume it would be
      different)
      Or are there more conventional gloves for general purpose (archery,
      sword, riding etc)?

      Any help would be most interesting!
      Paul
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 6, 2006
        > > Greetings from Solveig! Kyudo practitioners wear two gloves, but they
        > > are different. One is for holding the bow while the other is for
        holding
        > > the arrow.
        >
        > No, we don't. There's only the one glove in kyudo. At least,
        > MODERN kyudo that is.
        >

        > Effingham

        Stone's Glossary shows three *pair* of gloves labled yugake (as well
        as 5 or so right-hand-only yukage) and comments that the bowhand was
        sometimes covered with a glove with maille-lining.

        Otagiri