Greetings to the List

  • avani_pari
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
      Good day to all (or night, rather). My name is Julienne fille Gaspard,
      mka Jewel. Mundanely, I am a 21 y/o live-in nanny, living in Reston,
      Virginia. I am currently portraying a 14th century Frenchwoman, a
      scribe and aspirant poetess in the barony of Stierbach, in the Kingdom
      of Atlantia. However, for want of another persona to take up the time
      that I do not actually possess, I have begun research and study of the
      culture and portrayal of the Japanese, and have determined that I wish
      to take the persona of a Shirabyoshi. This seems to be a huge
      challenge, and I am looking forward to said challenge.

      If you would, take patience in my insistent inquiring as it comes. I
      hope to learn a great deal, and perhaps with much training be ready
      for some small steps in the life of the medieval Japanese by next year.

      And to begin my insistent inquiring, I would like to ask if any know
      of good books from which I might learn more of the Shirabyoshi. All
      that I have learned is from vague information over the internet and a
      few books that had, at maximum, one page of information, and that also
      very vague.

      I thank you for putting up with my introduction, and look forward to
      being a part of this group.

      Vivats the Dream,
      Jewel @}-;--
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2006
        Good day Jewel,
        and welcome to the list. (and the Barony of Stierbach!)

        Quite close to you are several excellent people for recources,
        Baron Edward of Effingham, Lord Ii Katsumori, and Lady Abe Kotori are a hop skip and a jump from you as well as my lady and myself.

        I do know that Abe-hime has an extensive library, and is also a wiz on directing people to additional sources.

        Ii and Abe host a Asian-nights once a month, and I try to have a combination garb/armor/fighting workshop at least once a month as well.

        I am not sure how much information is available local on the danceing itself, but the shirabyoshi clothing, acessories, and a study of the culture of the courts they performed at we can certainly help you with.

        Look forward to seeing you at a event or class soon, if you have any questions feel free to contact us.

        -Takeda Akimasa
        sigrune@...
      • Franzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2006
          On Aug 20, 2006, at 11:08 PM, avani_pari wrote:

          > And to begin my insistent inquiring, I would like to ask if any know
          > of good books from which I might learn more of the Shirabyoshi.

          Searching on amazon.co.jp gives a couple of books with titles like
          "Women of the Heike Monogatari". (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/
          4061494244/sr=8-8/qid=1156181371/ref=sr_1_8/250-0079700-2749852?
          ie=UTF8&s=gateway)

          One website I looked at claims that Imayo songs were set to the tune
          of Etenraku (or other Gagaku music) from the early Kamakura period
          on. You can certainly get CDs of Gagaku on amazon.com.

          I found a book called "Songs to Make the Dust Dance" by Yung-Hee Kim,
          which is a translation of a collection of Imayo songs.

          It looks like you might have the most luck by finding out the names
          of the dance and music styles they favored and looking for books on
          those.

          --Franzi, who's actually reading a (totally inaccurate) historical
          manga about a Shirabyoushi right now

        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2006
            Greetings Jewel-jime,
            I am glad to see that you have decided to take on a Japanese persona, how
            delightful. It's me Nakagawa Sukiei, the guy who help you move. I enjoy
            talking to you that day and I am happy to see that you have found this group
            (this is where I hide most of the time), I have enjoy many of the topics found
            here in the list and all of the information that are topics of forums in this
            site.
            Welcome to a new life within the SCA, you will grow greatly in this site
            and the people are true Japanese nobility. Also check the Tosado group online
            is another great site as well as Senguku damyo, by Lord Effingham.

            Nakagawa Sukeie

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2006
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:
              > Also check the Tosado group online
              > is another great site as well as Senguku damyo, by Lord Effingham.

              That's Tousando, actually, at http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi
              and Sengokudaimyo, at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

              Saionji no Hanae
              West
            • sekinakagawa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2006
                Thanks for the corrections! Typing a little too fast.

                Nakagawa Sukeie

              • Ellen Badgley
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 30, 2006
                  Julienne,

                  Sorry to belatedly reply to your message! I commend you for wanting to do
                  the shirabyoshi side of things-- it's a fascinating subject and I've been
                  looking up more and more about it since you mentioned your interest.

                  I did find a very interesting article on JSTOR about practitioners of the
                  sex trade in the Heian and Kamakura period, which overlaps with the
                  shirabyoshi concept (not prostitutes, but entertainers who would
                  occasionally offer other services). It would be worth looking up for
                  insight into how these women would have been regarded in that time period
                  (generally, well-regarded in Heian, not so well-regarded later on). I'll
                  find the reference and post it, for anyone who is interested.

                  If you are interested and have the time, Lord Ii and I will be holding an
                  "Asian Day" at our house in Centreville this coming Monday, Labor Day, just
                  to hang out and work on garb/other projects. We will get started about 10
                  AM. You are welcome to come over any other time to check out our library
                  and such-- just let us know when you are free. (This goes for everyone else
                  on the list, as well!) We definitely have enough information to be able to
                  get the proper shirabyoshi clothing together for you, at the very least.

                  - Abe Kotori Roku-i (I get to add that to my name now! yay!)