Any koto players?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
      Holy freaking wow. Yesterday I was at an event up in Reno. A lady I
      know up there gave me, yes, GAVE me a 16 string gu zheng. She'd tried
      to find a home for it via eBay, there were no takers, and she knew I'd
      give it a good home and eventually make it sing again. I almost cried
      when she said that. I almost cried again when we opened the case.

      Do I know how to play it? No.
      Tune it? No.
      Read the two sheets of tablature in the case? Nope.
      Yet Siobhan seems to think I will. I am deeply humbled - and of course
      obligated to try.

      Condition? Looks good, no broken strings, a bridge for each string
      (though two are loose in the case instead of under strings), in dire
      need of a tuning.

      I just ordered Introduction to Gu Zheng I & II by Angela Jui Lee and
      Mark Gresham and a set of picks, so hopefully that will get me started
      off.

      From information I've been able to find out so far, the 16 string gu
      zheng was popular during the Song and Ming dynasties (10th - 15th
      centuries) and the 13 string one from the Tang dynasty is what was
      introduced into Japan and became the koto. (Most modern gu zheng have
      21 to 25 strings. Could this gift be any more serendiptous.)

      ANYWAY, if anyone can recommend instructional materials on gu zheng or
      koto, your assistance would be appreciated. This lovely instrument
      should get to sing instead of collecting dust.

    • Hirotada Tokugawa
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
        Hi everyone,

        I had a few questions, since I'm trying to put together this outfit:

        http://hashiweb.jp/sumo/gyouji/KSyounosuke29.jpg

        This man....is what he's wearing a suo? I know the hat is an eboshi, for
        sure, but it's the outfit that I'm trying to figure out. Anyone have any
        patterns I could follow, or instructions on how to make one? Also, am I
        correct in assuming there's an under-kimono of some sort involved? And if
        so, what sort? As for the eboshi, can it be replicated using materials
        available in the US?

        Thanks in advance,

        -H.
      • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
          Wow Saionji, what an incredible opportunity! If there is anyone
          determined enough to make that gu zheng sing, I think it would be you.
          I look forward to hearing it when you are ready.

          Sincerely,
          Yukiko

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento"
            <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:

            > Wow Saionji, what an incredible opportunity! If there is anyone
            > determined enough to make that gu zheng sing, I think it would be you.
            > I look forward to hearing it when you are ready.

            It is very difficult to be Zen just now. I can't wait to try her out,
            but I don't even know what the tuning for this instrument is yet. May
            the US Postal Service be kind and bring me my books quickly!

            Saionji no Hanae
            West
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2006
              My books and picks arrived this afternoon and I just spent 55 minutes
              tuning. Moveable bridges. I ask you, what kind of maniac designs an
              instrument with SIXTEEN moveable bridges? A Chinese maniac, obviously.
              I do believe she will prove to be even more complicated to keep in
              tune than my hurdy gurdy!

              On the other hand, she has a [i]beautiful[/i] voice, especially in her
              upper register - which means the learning curve need not be
              excruciating for me or [i]my[/i] neighbors.

              She is currently tuned to a pentatonic scale* in D, and I'll be
              playing around with some of the exercises in book one to get the feel
              of her tonight.

              *Do re mi so la do.

              Off for a bite of dinner, then more practicing!

            • Rae Lahman
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
                ANYWAY, if anyone can recommend instructional materials on gu zheng or
                koto, your assistance would be appreciated. This lovely instrument
                should get to sing instead of collecting dust.

                Saionji-hime,
                Did you take it down to Lark In The Morning to see if they knew anything about tuning such an instrument? You're fairly close to them, aren't you?
                I agree that beautiful instruments should be allowed to give voice, not collect dust, which is why there are no instruments in my house. I am completely ham-fingered where playing instruments is concerned. I tried to learn for many years, then decided I better just stick to singing. I can do that without making cats yowl, dogs howl, and people run away screaming.
                One of those rare postings by
                Tsukiko, who has lived in both the Bay Area and Reno, but is now in Aethelmearc.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rae Lahman <tsukiko_gozen@...> wrote:
                  > Did you take it down to Lark In The Morning to see if they knew
                  anything about tuning such an instrument? You're fairly close to them,
                  aren't you?

                  Better yet, I ordered a couple of books and picks, which arrived last
                  week. I'm starting with the Chinese pentatonic tuning until I feel
                  like I'm comfortable, then I can begin experimenting with koto tunings.

                  Saionji no Hanae, West
                • Rae Lahman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 30, 2006
                    wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote: --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rae Lahman <tsukiko_gozen@...> wrote:
                    > Did you take it down to Lark In The Morning to see if they knew
                    anything about tuning such an instrument? You're fairly close to them,
                    aren't you?

                    Better yet, I ordered a couple of books and picks, which arrived last
                    week. I'm starting with the Chinese pentatonic tuning until I feel
                    like I'm comfortable, then I can begin experimenting with koto tunings.

                    Saionji no Hanae, West

                    Oops, sorry! I posted that before I read on to see that you had ordered those, they had arrived, and you were doing pretty well with them. That will teach me to read all my mail before answering any. :)
                    Best of luck with it!
                    Tsukiko