Re: First names? (newbie)

  • mistresschief
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
      I'm assuming that most people are at Pennsic at the moment (deep
      sigh).....wish I was! Damn mundane life for interfering with my social
      life!

      I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
      Tatsuko would be better?

      I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
      order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like the
      ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider than my
      shoulders!

      Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
      lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
      and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
      time period as well, or just now?

      Hope you are all enjoying yourselves at Pennsic or at home as the case
      may be. Thanks again for all your help!

      Monika

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
        > I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
        > Tatsuko would be better?

        I think (and I will happily defer to our onomasticists) that it would
        be either Tatsuko or O-tatsu, but not both.

        > I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet
        > and order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like
        > the ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider
        > than my shoulders!

        I hear that. Try the "Warring States" page here:
        http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.html

        > Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
        > lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
        > and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
        > time period as well, or just now?

        A caveat about modern kimono references - they're modern. ;-> If you
        want to know what people wear in period, look at artwork or if you're
        lucky surviving examples from the period you're researching.

        Geta are foul weather gear, specifically designed for walking in mud,
        hence the ha (stilts). They would also be worn to and from the baths.
        The bath-house connection is why they're matched with yukata (cotton
        bathrobes) for casual wear in the modern context, usually for summer
        festivals.

        Period zori look nothing like the vinyl wedgie things sold these days
        for women as dress shoes. They would have been made of rice straw and
        look like this:
        http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia21/images/topic/25_5.jpg

        You can sometimes find them as billed as waraji zori. A reasonable
        alternative are setta or tatami zori.

        As for sizing, they should be what you'd think is too small for you.
        If your heel dangles off the back by a couple of cm, that's about
        right. More than that will be uncomfortable, less may have you getting
        your hems caught in your zori (or geta).