Re: [SCA-JML] Lacing question

  • Maddalena Alessandra
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
      >> -----------
      Moderator Note: This is an old post that was waiting in the moderation queue to which all first posts by new members wait for approval. This moderator apologizes for the delay. - Otagiri
      >> -----------

      Two thoughts:
      First There is a book available through the Borders
      chain that I have but can't find at the moment (a
      friend gave me-fairly inexpensive) something about
      'Japanese Armour ' though it does a lot out of period
      there is a section on 'laquering' the armour and
      lacing patterns.
      Second Depending on your time frame(if only as later
      replacement) you might consider weaving the lacings
      yourself (less expensive). The technique is available
      on the web for free.

      Please bear in mind I new to Japanese and generally
      just lurk and learn.

      Best of Luck
      Lady Maddalena Alessandra Godwin
      blue Saphyre of Gleann Abhann

      --- sanazami <wcbooth@...> wrote:

      > Hello all.
      > just got a set of armor permaloaned to
      > me, and i've got a
      > few questions/problems.
      >
      > i've got a few referance books here, but none of
      > them give a good
      > enough idea on how the armor panels were laced
      > together. is there a
      > good referance among our links? also, i need to redo
      > the back of the
      > helmet as well. hence the need for lacing
      > diagrams...
      >
      > also, where should i look for the lacing? i can't
      > afford the prices of
      > the online stuff( lords, though it would be nice0.
      > would a Wally
      > world, or good sewing shop carry what i need?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • David Gillam
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
        I realize its not period, but I relaced my lamalar with "550" cord (Army
        parachute cord). It has that silk rope look, without the price. It went from
        a passable English scale to a metal (and cool looking, IMO) Japanese armor.
        Plus, being "waterproof" and generally great wear-resistant, it should hold
        up great for armor. Lokks period-ish :-)

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
          A gentleman on the armour archive is selling his excess. You might see if
          he has something you want here:
          http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62778

          If you choose to continue hunting, nylon may be eaiser to get but cotton
          laces better and usually looks more like silk.
          Do not use paracord. While it is good strong cord it isn't appropriate
          for japanese armour.

          M.J.Peters

        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
            Noble cousin,
            I have made a couple of Mogamido sets, and if it is for fighting, macrame
            cord is perfect, my first set was built in 1994 and still in one peace, the
            macrame cord is very inexpensive and resembles the look of the real thing, plus
            is made of polystyrene.

            Hope this help,
            Nakagawa Sukeie
            Barony of Marinus, Atlantia

          • Michael Peters
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
              Where do you find flat macrame cord?

            • sekinakagawa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 15, 2006
                You can iron it between two sheets of fabric and it will flatten or you can
                use it in the round shape, again, it will give the appearance of the real
                thin.

              • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006

                  http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html -> The Odoshi

                  > also, where should i look for the lacing? i can't afford the prices of
                  > the online stuff( lords, though it would be nice0. would a Wally
                  > world, or good sewing shop carry what i need?

                  Many of us use either bulk lace or shoe lace. One such vendor is
                  http://lacesforless.com
                  You can email the guys for bulk or other special orders.

                  Hope this helps
                  Otagiri