Lacing question

  • sanazami
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
      Hello all.
      just got a set of armor permaloaned to me, and i've got a
      few questions/problems.

      i've got a few referance books here, but none of them give a good
      enough idea on how the armor panels were laced together. is there a
      good referance among our links? also, i need to redo the back of the
      helmet as well. hence the need for lacing diagrams...

      also, where should i look for the lacing? i can't afford the prices of
      the online stuff( lords, though it would be nice0. would a Wally
      world, or good sewing shop carry what i need?
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "sanazami" <wcbooth@...> wrote:

        > Hello all.
        > just got a set of armor permaloaned to me, and i've got a
        > few questions/problems.
        >
        > i've got a few referance books here, but none of them give a good
        > enough idea on how the armor panels were laced together. is there a
        > good referance among our links? also, i need to redo the back of the
        > helmet as well. hence the need for lacing diagrams...
        >
        > also, where should i look for the lacing? i can't afford the prices of
        > the online stuff( lords, though it would be nice0. would a Wally
        > world, or good sewing shop carry what i need?

        Konbanwa, Nameless One,

        I fear most of the people who are far more knowledgeable than I in
        such things are en route or at Pennsic by now. Try:

        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/index.html

        I believe the chapter on kozane may be what you need.

        The name I hear bandied about by our Japanese armorers is "Laces for
        Less" where you can buy shoelaces in bulk. I have no idea how much you
        would need for your project, but go here for more info:
        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=vendors&action=display&thread=1096331516

        Good luck with your project. I shall bo back to being elegant and
        decorative now.

        Saionji no Hanae,
        West Kingdom
      • Maddalena Alessandra
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
          >> -----------
          Moderator Note: This is an old post that was waiting in the moderation queue to which all first posts by new members wait for approval. This moderator apologizes for the delay. - Otagiri
          >> -----------

          Two thoughts:
          First There is a book available through the Borders
          chain that I have but can't find at the moment (a
          friend gave me-fairly inexpensive) something about
          'Japanese Armour ' though it does a lot out of period
          there is a section on 'laquering' the armour and
          lacing patterns.
          Second Depending on your time frame(if only as later
          replacement) you might consider weaving the lacings
          yourself (less expensive). The technique is available
          on the web for free.

          Please bear in mind I new to Japanese and generally
          just lurk and learn.

          Best of Luck
          Lady Maddalena Alessandra Godwin
          blue Saphyre of Gleann Abhann

          --- sanazami <wcbooth@...> wrote:

          > Hello all.
          > just got a set of armor permaloaned to
          > me, and i've got a
          > few questions/problems.
          >
          > i've got a few referance books here, but none of
          > them give a good
          > enough idea on how the armor panels were laced
          > together. is there a
          > good referance among our links? also, i need to redo
          > the back of the
          > helmet as well. hence the need for lacing
          > diagrams...
          >
          > also, where should i look for the lacing? i can't
          > afford the prices of
          > the online stuff( lords, though it would be nice0.
          > would a Wally
          > world, or good sewing shop carry what i need?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • David Gillam
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
            I realize its not period, but I relaced my lamalar with "550" cord (Army
            parachute cord). It has that silk rope look, without the price. It went from
            a passable English scale to a metal (and cool looking, IMO) Japanese armor.
            Plus, being "waterproof" and generally great wear-resistant, it should hold
            up great for armor. Lokks period-ish :-)

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
              A gentleman on the armour archive is selling his excess. You might see if
              he has something you want here:
              http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62778

              If you choose to continue hunting, nylon may be eaiser to get but cotton
              laces better and usually looks more like silk.
              Do not use paracord. While it is good strong cord it isn't appropriate
              for japanese armour.

              M.J.Peters

            • sekinakagawa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                Noble cousin,
                I have made a couple of Mogamido sets, and if it is for fighting, macrame
                cord is perfect, my first set was built in 1994 and still in one peace, the
                macrame cord is very inexpensive and resembles the look of the real thing, plus
                is made of polystyrene.

                Hope this help,
                Nakagawa Sukeie
                Barony of Marinus, Atlantia

              • Michael Peters
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                  Where do you find flat macrame cord?

                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15, 2006
                    You can iron it between two sheets of fabric and it will flatten or you can
                    use it in the round shape, again, it will give the appearance of the real
                    thin.

                  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006

                      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html -> The Odoshi

                      > also, where should i look for the lacing? i can't afford the prices of
                      > the online stuff( lords, though it would be nice0. would a Wally
                      > world, or good sewing shop carry what i need?

                      Many of us use either bulk lace or shoe lace. One such vendor is
                      http://lacesforless.com
                      You can email the guys for bulk or other special orders.

                      Hope this helps
                      Otagiri