Re: Appropriate colours for Karaginu

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Hera" <nos911@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      > Thank you for the links Saionji no Hanae. However, I cannot seem to
      > find anything on karaginu. They are either not mentioned at all or
      > only their construction. Or I am completely baffled by the translation.
      > What I am looking for, or at least hoping to stumble over, is
      > something that says what colours are appropriate for karaginu for
      > which season.

      If you find something, let me know. I haven't found anything specific
      either. I would think that something that coordinates with the rest of
      your kasane would be fine as long as you're not wearing red or purple,
      which, AFAIK are forbidden colors.

      I'm still learning this stuff too.

    • Franzi
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
        On Aug 7, 2006, at 10:51 PM, Hera wrote:
        > I think that I didn't phrase one of my questions correctly. I was
        > trying to ask if Mo came in colours other than white

        I don't have a good historical reference for you, but searching for mo
        (裳) in google image search turns up a zillion pictures of white ones
        and one or two that are either light pink or that shade from white to
        red. Most are also heavily decorated, sometimes colorfully.

        Have a look at the following:

        http://www.yusoku.com/mo.htm
        http://f1.aaa.livedoor.jp/~heiankyo/co200601news2-01.htm
        http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~tj8t-itu/jidai2.htm

        I can't guarantee that the recreations are accurate, but somebody
        certainly thinks there are non-white mo.

        --Franzi

        P.S. I don't think I've posted to this group before, so hello
        everyone. I'm a fan of the Heian period more or less by way of the
        Onmyouji franchise.