Re: Appropriate colours for karaginu

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Hera" <nos911@...> wrote:
      > I am attempting to find some information on appropriate colours for
      > karaginu and mo. I am making a Heian outfit for next years mid-winter
      > coronation and would like to get all the research done early. As I am
      > fairly new to the SCA I chose a colour combo which has no restricted
      > colours (kigiku - dark maroon, medium maroon, light maroon, 2 of pale
      > yellow and a blue-green hitoe). I assume* that brocade for the
      > karaginu would be out of the question and I also assume* that the
      > colours would vary with the seasons. Can anyone point me in the
      > direction of books, links or even just an opinion?

      Stand back:

      http://www.takata-courtrobe.co.jp/en1.htm
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
      http://www.suginocostumemuseum.com/collection/j_isho/ie.html
      http://www.tokyodv.com/culture/HinaKimono.html
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch14.html
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Irome.htm

      These are in Japanese, run them through a translation engine like
      Google Translate:
      http://www.kariginu.jp/

      Best source in English is Liza Dalby's "Kimono: Fashioning Culture" as
      it contains a chapter discussing a 12th century manuscript instructing
      an Empress on what to wear in which seasons.

      > I have heard (don't remember where) that on a woman's ascension to
      > empress, the correct colour for her karaginu and mo is white. So does
      > this mean they came in other colours?
      Yes, as I've never actually SEEN an example of a karaginu in white.
      The mo is usually white with some sort of dyed, painted or
      metallic-leafed design on it.

      > Are they also seasonally dictated?
      I haven't found anything specific, but I would think so.

      Your karaginu and outer layers are supposed to be figured brocades.
      Reproductions are untouchable in terms of price. However, I've had
      some modest success with stencils on silk jacquards.
      http://www.wodefordhall.com/display.htm

      Hope this is helpful.