Re: First names? (newbie)

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
      > On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
      > travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
      > hat". Do you think it will work?

      It looks awfully small, given your description. Here's a shot of me in
      my old one at www.wodefordhall.com/windyday.jpg. THAT one looks
      awfully small, which is why I pounced on the newer one I found at the
      flea market.

      I generally do four equal sided panels. They need to open in the
      front, but the other three I stitch together part way down to prevent
      tangling. Sew the panels into the brim of the hat or use straight pins
      slid into the weave of the hat to attach them. Do the same with the
      "sash cords." AFAIK they are decorative. 3/8" cotton rope is what I
      used for mine.

      One option you might try which could work better for you than the
      veiled hat would be to wear the hat you have on top of a sheer kosode
      draped over your head. Not a great photo, but Lady Wakasa does this in
      the film Ugetsu.
      http://www.cinela.com/schedule/IMG/ugetsu.jpg

      Hope this is helpful.
      Saionji no Hanae, West
    • mistresschief
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hmmmmm....

        I guess I just don't get the difference between onyomi and the other
        one clearly enough. Many people have suggested I go to this site:

        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html

        It all sounded plausible, which is how I figured out the alternative
        name. Are you saying that this information is more intended for
        Chinese (onyomi) rather than Japanese? And that the Chinese version is
        more apt for nuns? It would appear that your book would seem the only
        accurate information for Japanese names out there; at this time
        however I really can't afford it. I will try my local library to see
        if they have it (doubtful, but you never know). If you could suggest
        an alternative online wealth of information I would most appreciate it!

        Alas, I have to agree that my hat would appear to be too small. I'll
        have to keep looking, perhaps check out a flea market or garage sale
        if I ever get a weekend off!

        Thanks again for all your help!

        wrote:

        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        >
        > > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
        > > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
        > > I pronounce the Suiren part?).
        >
        > Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
        > Ren & Stimpy.
        > However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
        > nun or something?
        >
        > Your humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

      • mistresschief
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
          I'm assuming that most people are at Pennsic at the moment (deep
          sigh).....wish I was! Damn mundane life for interfering with my social
          life!

          I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
          Tatsuko would be better?

          I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
          order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like the
          ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider than my
          shoulders!

          Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
          lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
          and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
          time period as well, or just now?

          Hope you are all enjoying yourselves at Pennsic or at home as the case
          may be. Thanks again for all your help!

          Monika

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
            > I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
            > Tatsuko would be better?

            I think (and I will happily defer to our onomasticists) that it would
            be either Tatsuko or O-tatsu, but not both.

            > I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet
            > and order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like
            > the ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider
            > than my shoulders!

            I hear that. Try the "Warring States" page here:
            http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.html

            > Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
            > lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
            > and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
            > time period as well, or just now?

            A caveat about modern kimono references - they're modern. ;-> If you
            want to know what people wear in period, look at artwork or if you're
            lucky surviving examples from the period you're researching.

            Geta are foul weather gear, specifically designed for walking in mud,
            hence the ha (stilts). They would also be worn to and from the baths.
            The bath-house connection is why they're matched with yukata (cotton
            bathrobes) for casual wear in the modern context, usually for summer
            festivals.

            Period zori look nothing like the vinyl wedgie things sold these days
            for women as dress shoes. They would have been made of rice straw and
            look like this:
            http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia21/images/topic/25_5.jpg

            You can sometimes find them as billed as waraji zori. A reasonable
            alternative are setta or tatami zori.

            As for sizing, they should be what you'd think is too small for you.
            If your heel dangles off the back by a couple of cm, that's about
            right. More than that will be uncomfortable, less may have you getting
            your hems caught in your zori (or geta).