Re: First names? (newbie)

  • mistresschief
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      First I must say thank you so much to everyone for all your help! It
      has been most appreciated and enlightening. I was told when I first
      joined the SCA that you could only be a culture (Japanese or
      otherwise) after it had first contact with Europeans. I have since
      learned (thanks to all of you) that this is not so! Perfect, as I
      really like the 1500ish early time period.

      So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
      would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
      I pronounce the Suiren part?).

      On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
      travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
      hat". Do you think it will work? Also, any rules on how many panels or
      how to attach them? What exactly are the dangly cords for and how
      would I attach those? I have a friend that does kumahimo (please
      forgive any spelling mistakes!) that could work as well.

      Thank you again for your help!

      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1149457918

      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/7.htm shows their version
      > of a traveling hat.
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West Kingdom

    • mistresschief
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
        Oops! It's actually under "hat pictues". I understand that the hat
        diameter should be wider than your shoulders (this one is about a
        centimeter less wide) but I have really wide shoulders so even that
        really nice and expensive ichime gasa wouldn't be wide enough. I could
        still make it work though, right?

        Thanks again!

        Monika

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006

          > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
          > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
          > I pronounce the Suiren part?).

          Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
          Ren & Stimpy.
          However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
          nun or something?

          Your humble Servant
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
            > On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
            > travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
            > hat". Do you think it will work?

            It looks awfully small, given your description. Here's a shot of me in
            my old one at www.wodefordhall.com/windyday.jpg. THAT one looks
            awfully small, which is why I pounced on the newer one I found at the
            flea market.

            I generally do four equal sided panels. They need to open in the
            front, but the other three I stitch together part way down to prevent
            tangling. Sew the panels into the brim of the hat or use straight pins
            slid into the weave of the hat to attach them. Do the same with the
            "sash cords." AFAIK they are decorative. 3/8" cotton rope is what I
            used for mine.

            One option you might try which could work better for you than the
            veiled hat would be to wear the hat you have on top of a sheer kosode
            draped over your head. Not a great photo, but Lady Wakasa does this in
            the film Ugetsu.
            http://www.cinela.com/schedule/IMG/ugetsu.jpg

            Hope this is helpful.
            Saionji no Hanae, West
          • mistresschief
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
              Hmmmmm....

              I guess I just don't get the difference between onyomi and the other
              one clearly enough. Many people have suggested I go to this site:

              http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html

              It all sounded plausible, which is how I figured out the alternative
              name. Are you saying that this information is more intended for
              Chinese (onyomi) rather than Japanese? And that the Chinese version is
              more apt for nuns? It would appear that your book would seem the only
              accurate information for Japanese names out there; at this time
              however I really can't afford it. I will try my local library to see
              if they have it (doubtful, but you never know). If you could suggest
              an alternative online wealth of information I would most appreciate it!

              Alas, I have to agree that my hat would appear to be too small. I'll
              have to keep looking, perhaps check out a flea market or garage sale
              if I ever get a weekend off!

              Thanks again for all your help!

              wrote:

              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
              > > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
              > > I pronounce the Suiren part?).
              >
              > Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
              > Ren & Stimpy.
              > However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
              > nun or something?
              >
              > Your humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

            • mistresschief
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
                I'm assuming that most people are at Pennsic at the moment (deep
                sigh).....wish I was! Damn mundane life for interfering with my social
                life!

                I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
                Tatsuko would be better?

                I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
                order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like the
                ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider than my
                shoulders!

                Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
                lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
                and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
                time period as well, or just now?

                Hope you are all enjoying yourselves at Pennsic or at home as the case
                may be. Thanks again for all your help!

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                  > I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
                  > Tatsuko would be better?

                  I think (and I will happily defer to our onomasticists) that it would
                  be either Tatsuko or O-tatsu, but not both.

                  > I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet
                  > and order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like
                  > the ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider
                  > than my shoulders!

                  I hear that. Try the "Warring States" page here:
                  http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.html

                  > Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
                  > lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
                  > and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
                  > time period as well, or just now?

                  A caveat about modern kimono references - they're modern. ;-> If you
                  want to know what people wear in period, look at artwork or if you're
                  lucky surviving examples from the period you're researching.

                  Geta are foul weather gear, specifically designed for walking in mud,
                  hence the ha (stilts). They would also be worn to and from the baths.
                  The bath-house connection is why they're matched with yukata (cotton
                  bathrobes) for casual wear in the modern context, usually for summer
                  festivals.

                  Period zori look nothing like the vinyl wedgie things sold these days
                  for women as dress shoes. They would have been made of rice straw and
                  look like this:
                  http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia21/images/topic/25_5.jpg

                  You can sometimes find them as billed as waraji zori. A reasonable
                  alternative are setta or tatami zori.

                  As for sizing, they should be what you'd think is too small for you.
                  If your heel dangles off the back by a couple of cm, that's about
                  right. More than that will be uncomfortable, less may have you getting
                  your hems caught in your zori (or geta).