Re: First names? (newbie)

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1 3:30 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:

      > Someone wrote to me offline with more information (many thanks) and
      > recommended a book written by yourself; how might I acquire such a book?

      Email Ted Eisenstein at alban AT socket DOT net and find out if the
      price or address has changed since he sent me this two years ago:

      > Potboiler Press, for $42.50 (which includes shipping).
      > The address is
      > Ted Eisenstein
      > PO Box 30171
      > Columbia, MO 65205

      > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
      > appreciate any and all help given. Off topic, where might I find
      > pictures or descriptions on making one of those ladies hats with the
      > veils?

      I need to get pictures of mine with the veil on. I acquired the hat at
      a flea market. The photos at the album below show the attachment of
      the atadamai (chin harness). I used thick cotton upholstery welt cord
      commonly used for upholstery piping, covered it in fabric, sewed it
      into the appropriate shape, then stitched it onto the hat through
      existing holes in the hat with buttonhole thread.
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wodeford/album?.dir=1b0bscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 3:30 PM
        Apologies to the list for that unsigned post!

        Saionji no Hanae,West Kingdom
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 4:30 PM

          > The period I was thinking of is early 1500's, the surname I liked is
          > Kato (with a little line over the o). I

          In "wapuro" Japanese it is Katou (just a way to deal with the CoA not
          allowing diacriticals. Maybe they do now, but they didn't 15 years
          ago. Even so, many fonts still lack an easy way to type vowels with
          macrons. Some modern Japanese write the name as Katoh. Regardless,
          such a name claims to be a cadet family of the Fujiwara even if they
          aren't. During the 1500's women very often had names of the form
          O<theme>. If you watch the Samurai trilogy by Inagaki you will meet a
          few women with this sort of name during the early 1600's.
          Unfortunately, I am in the middle of relocating and my sources are
          about five hours from here at the moment. So, please do not hold my
          feet to the fire over dates and stuff.

          > As for the terms onyomi and kunyomi I have no idea! (total newbie
          > here). Also A'kumi or Aku'mi, I thought it would be spelled without
          > any '. I have no problem being "evil" however!

          ONYOMI are "Chinese" reading like "ICHI" while kunyomi are native
          readings like "hitotsu".

          Send email to alban@...

          > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
          > appreciate any and all help given. Off topic, where might I find
          > pictures or descriptions on making one of those ladies hats with the
          > veils?

          Enthusiasm is one of the most treasured features of those who are
          learning.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1 6:40 PM
            wrote:
            > During the 1500's women very often had names of the form
            > O<theme>. If you watch the Samurai trilogy by Inagaki you will meet a
            > few women with this sort of name during the early 1600's.
            > Unfortunately, I am in the middle of relocating and my sources are
            > about five hours from here at the moment. So, please do not hold my
            > feet to the fire over dates and stuff.

            Kato-hime, have you been here yet? It includes a discussion of the "O-
            " name forms, which may give you some ideas, assuming you like that form.
            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html

            > I have no problem being "evil" however!
            Yes, but there's no need to advertise. ;-> One can be far more evil
            and get away with it if everyone thinks you're sweet and harmless.

            > > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
            > > appreciate any and all help given.
            Baby steps are the most important ones one ever takes. Enjoy the journey!
            Be sure to check out the Links and Files sections at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/ for all sorts of useful resources.

            > Off topic, where might I find pictures or descriptions on making one
            > of those ladies hats with the veils?
            Doh! When I responded earlier, I forgot I'd posted info on my
            ichime-gasa over on the Tousando board. (I plead burnout - it's
            payroll day and I've been staring at a lot of numbers.) You can view
            the thread here:
            http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1149457918

            http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/7.htm shows their version
            of a traveling hat.

          • mistresschief
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3 6:59 AM
              First I must say thank you so much to everyone for all your help! It
              has been most appreciated and enlightening. I was told when I first
              joined the SCA that you could only be a culture (Japanese or
              otherwise) after it had first contact with Europeans. I have since
              learned (thanks to all of you) that this is not so! Perfect, as I
              really like the 1500ish early time period.

              So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
              would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
              I pronounce the Suiren part?).

              On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
              travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
              hat". Do you think it will work? Also, any rules on how many panels or
              how to attach them? What exactly are the dangly cords for and how
              would I attach those? I have a friend that does kumahimo (please
              forgive any spelling mistakes!) that could work as well.

              Thank you again for your help!

              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@>
              > wrote:
              > > During the 1500's women very often had names of the form
              > > O<theme>. If you watch the Samurai trilogy by Inagaki you will
              meet a
              > > few women with this sort of name during the early 1600's.
              > > Unfortunately, I am in the middle of relocating and my sources are
              > > about five hours from here at the moment. So, please do not hold my
              > > feet to the fire over dates and stuff.
              >
              > Kato-hime, have you been here yet? It includes a discussion of the "O-
              > " name forms, which may give you some ideas, assuming you like that
              form.
              > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html
              >
              > > I have no problem being "evil" however!
              > Yes, but there's no need to advertise. ;-> One can be far more evil
              > and get away with it if everyone thinks you're sweet and harmless.
              >
              > > > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
              > > > appreciate any and all help given.
              > Baby steps are the most important ones one ever takes. Enjoy the
              journey!
              > Be sure to check out the Links and Files sections at
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/ for all sorts of useful
              resources.

              > > Off topic, where might I find pictures or descriptions on making one
              > > of those ladies hats with the veils?
              > Doh! When I responded earlier, I forgot I'd posted info on my
              > ichime-gasa over on the Tousando board. (I plead burnout - it's
              > payroll day and I've been staring at a lot of numbers.) You can view
              > the thread here:

              http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1149457918

              > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/7.htm shows their version
              > of a traveling hat.
              >
              > Saionji no Hanae
              > West Kingdom

            • mistresschief
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3 7:36 AM
                Oops! It's actually under "hat pictues". I understand that the hat
                diameter should be wider than your shoulders (this one is about a
                centimeter less wide) but I have really wide shoulders so even that
                really nice and expensive ichime gasa wouldn't be wide enough. I could
                still make it work though, right?

                Thanks again!

                Monika

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3 11:05 AM

                  > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
                  > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
                  > I pronounce the Suiren part?).

                  Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
                  Ren & Stimpy.
                  However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
                  nun or something?

                  Your humble Servant
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3 3:27 PM
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                    > On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
                    > travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
                    > hat". Do you think it will work?

                    It looks awfully small, given your description. Here's a shot of me in
                    my old one at www.wodefordhall.com/windyday.jpg. THAT one looks
                    awfully small, which is why I pounced on the newer one I found at the
                    flea market.

                    I generally do four equal sided panels. They need to open in the
                    front, but the other three I stitch together part way down to prevent
                    tangling. Sew the panels into the brim of the hat or use straight pins
                    slid into the weave of the hat to attach them. Do the same with the
                    "sash cords." AFAIK they are decorative. 3/8" cotton rope is what I
                    used for mine.

                    One option you might try which could work better for you than the
                    veiled hat would be to wear the hat you have on top of a sheer kosode
                    draped over your head. Not a great photo, but Lady Wakasa does this in
                    the film Ugetsu.
                    http://www.cinela.com/schedule/IMG/ugetsu.jpg

                    Hope this is helpful.
                    Saionji no Hanae, West
                  • mistresschief
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4 5:28 AM
                      Hmmmmm....

                      I guess I just don't get the difference between onyomi and the other
                      one clearly enough. Many people have suggested I go to this site:

                      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html

                      It all sounded plausible, which is how I figured out the alternative
                      name. Are you saying that this information is more intended for
                      Chinese (onyomi) rather than Japanese? And that the Chinese version is
                      more apt for nuns? It would appear that your book would seem the only
                      accurate information for Japanese names out there; at this time
                      however I really can't afford it. I will try my local library to see
                      if they have it (doubtful, but you never know). If you could suggest
                      an alternative online wealth of information I would most appreciate it!

                      Alas, I have to agree that my hat would appear to be too small. I'll
                      have to keep looking, perhaps check out a flea market or garage sale
                      if I ever get a weekend off!

                      Thanks again for all your help!

                      wrote:

                      > Noble Cousin!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig!
                      >
                      > > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
                      > > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
                      > > I pronounce the Suiren part?).
                      >
                      > Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
                      > Ren & Stimpy.
                      > However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
                      > nun or something?
                      >
                      > Your humble Servant
                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                      > Amateur Scholar

                    • mistresschief
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 13 11:20 AM
                        I'm assuming that most people are at Pennsic at the moment (deep
                        sigh).....wish I was! Damn mundane life for interfering with my social
                        life!

                        I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
                        Tatsuko would be better?

                        I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
                        order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like the
                        ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider than my
                        shoulders!

                        Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
                        lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
                        and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
                        time period as well, or just now?

                        Hope you are all enjoying yourselves at Pennsic or at home as the case
                        may be. Thanks again for all your help!

                        Monika

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 13 4:43 PM
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                          > I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
                          > Tatsuko would be better?

                          I think (and I will happily defer to our onomasticists) that it would
                          be either Tatsuko or O-tatsu, but not both.

                          > I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet
                          > and order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like
                          > the ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider
                          > than my shoulders!

                          I hear that. Try the "Warring States" page here:
                          http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.html

                          > Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
                          > lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
                          > and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
                          > time period as well, or just now?

                          A caveat about modern kimono references - they're modern. ;-> If you
                          want to know what people wear in period, look at artwork or if you're
                          lucky surviving examples from the period you're researching.

                          Geta are foul weather gear, specifically designed for walking in mud,
                          hence the ha (stilts). They would also be worn to and from the baths.
                          The bath-house connection is why they're matched with yukata (cotton
                          bathrobes) for casual wear in the modern context, usually for summer
                          festivals.

                          Period zori look nothing like the vinyl wedgie things sold these days
                          for women as dress shoes. They would have been made of rice straw and
                          look like this:
                          http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia21/images/topic/25_5.jpg

                          You can sometimes find them as billed as waraji zori. A reasonable
                          alternative are setta or tatami zori.

                          As for sizing, they should be what you'd think is too small for you.
                          If your heel dangles off the back by a couple of cm, that's about
                          right. More than that will be uncomfortable, less may have you getting
                          your hems caught in your zori (or geta).