Seeking references on attitudes about touching

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Greetings, all;

      Does anyone know of a reliable source regarding the origins of Japanese attitudes towards people touching? I can find plenty of information about appropriate and inappropriate touching between people in various circumstances, but nothing on the cultural reasons behind it. I suspect it may have something to do with ideas of cleanliness, or the provision of personal space in circumstances where real privacy is somewhat rare, but I'd really like a well-documented reference to turn to, rather than my poorly-informed suspicions.

      Arigato gozaimasu.

      - Shiro