First names? (newbie)

  • mistresschief
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 30, 2006
      Hello all! I am fairly new to the SCA and have decided on a Japanese
      persona. I have figured out the surname part with much help from a
      friend, but a first name is more difficult to document (apparently).
      As far as I can tell from my small amount of research, a female name
      is usually a name from nature (like maple, pine, etc.) with different
      endings attached like "mi" "me" etc. Is this correct? And would I be
      correct in assuming that I can basically use any Japanese word used at
      the time with such an ending tacked on? Ideally I would like to use
      the name "Akumi". Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.
      I thank you all in advance for your help and feedback!
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 30, 2006

        > Hello all! I am fairly new to the SCA and have decided on a Japanese
        > persona. I have figured out the surname part with much help from a
        > friend,

        That is not necessarily as easy as your friend may think. It depends
        entirely upon which period you want to be from.

        > but a first name is more difficult to document (apparently).

        Well. First of all it isn't a "first name": as it doesn't come first.

        > As far as I can tell from my small amount of research, a female name
        > is usually a name from nature (like maple, pine, etc.) with different
        > endings attached like "mi" "me" etc. Is this correct?

        Well sort of. Most Japanese female names consist of a <theme> with
        either a prefix or suffix depending upon the period.

        > And would I be correct in assuming that I can basically use any
        > Japanese word used at
        > the time with such an ending tacked on?

        Not a tremendously good idea. Some words are just more auspicious
        than others. Also, there is a big distinction in Japanese between
        strictly literary words and words which are actually spoken. Finally,
        there is a distinction between onyomi (Chinese style) and kunyomi
        (Japanese style) words.

        > Ideally I would like to use
        > the name "Akumi". Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.
        > I thank you all in advance for your help and feedback!

        Why? First of all are you trying to choose Aku'mi or A'kumi ??
        Incidentally, I am sure that -me names are common during the Nara and
        Heian periods, but I do not recall -mi names. Are you actually
        interested in "aku" = "evil" ?? AKU is (as I recall) an ONYOMI
        reading which would make it a bit unusual. Not to mention the meaning
        which while it might be used for the name of a young child, just
        doesn't make it for an adult.

        If you are interested in one of the "aku" verbs, then it is likely to
        show up as "aki"+<ending> in names. There is also the dithematic 阿
        久 which is rather interesting.

      • mistresschief
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          Greetings and thanks!

          The period I was thinking of is early 1500's, the surname I liked is
          Kato (with a little line over the o). I realized the surname or family
          name is first and the "first name" is second (just figured it would be
          easier to describe it thusly).

          As for the terms onyomi and kunyomi I have no idea! (total newbie
          here). Also A'kumi or Aku'mi, I thought it would be spelled without
          any '. I have no problem being "evil" however!

          Someone wrote to me offline with more information (many thanks) and
          recommended a book written by yourself; how might I acquire such a book?

          The whole reason I picked a Japanese persona was that I didn't want to
          be one of the massive hoardes of Celts, Vikings, Normans, etc., plus I
          absolutely adore all things Japanese (how can you NOT love the garb
          and everything else?).

          I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
          appreciate any and all help given. Off topic, where might I find
          pictures or descriptions on making one of those ladies hats with the
          veils?

          Again, I thank you and wish you a lovely day!

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:

            > Someone wrote to me offline with more information (many thanks) and
            > recommended a book written by yourself; how might I acquire such a book?

            Email Ted Eisenstein at alban AT socket DOT net and find out if the
            price or address has changed since he sent me this two years ago:

            > Potboiler Press, for $42.50 (which includes shipping).
            > The address is
            > Ted Eisenstein
            > PO Box 30171
            > Columbia, MO 65205

            > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
            > appreciate any and all help given. Off topic, where might I find
            > pictures or descriptions on making one of those ladies hats with the
            > veils?

            I need to get pictures of mine with the veil on. I acquired the hat at
            a flea market. The photos at the album below show the attachment of
            the atadamai (chin harness). I used thick cotton upholstery welt cord
            commonly used for upholstery piping, covered it in fabric, sewed it
            into the appropriate shape, then stitched it onto the hat through
            existing holes in the hat with buttonhole thread.
            http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wodeford/album?.dir=1b0bscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              Apologies to the list for that unsigned post!

              Saionji no Hanae,West Kingdom
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006

                > The period I was thinking of is early 1500's, the surname I liked is
                > Kato (with a little line over the o). I

                In "wapuro" Japanese it is Katou (just a way to deal with the CoA not
                allowing diacriticals. Maybe they do now, but they didn't 15 years
                ago. Even so, many fonts still lack an easy way to type vowels with
                macrons. Some modern Japanese write the name as Katoh. Regardless,
                such a name claims to be a cadet family of the Fujiwara even if they
                aren't. During the 1500's women very often had names of the form
                O<theme>. If you watch the Samurai trilogy by Inagaki you will meet a
                few women with this sort of name during the early 1600's.
                Unfortunately, I am in the middle of relocating and my sources are
                about five hours from here at the moment. So, please do not hold my
                feet to the fire over dates and stuff.

                > As for the terms onyomi and kunyomi I have no idea! (total newbie
                > here). Also A'kumi or Aku'mi, I thought it would be spelled without
                > any '. I have no problem being "evil" however!

                ONYOMI are "Chinese" reading like "ICHI" while kunyomi are native
                readings like "hitotsu".

                Send email to alban@...

                > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
                > appreciate any and all help given. Off topic, where might I find
                > pictures or descriptions on making one of those ladies hats with the
                > veils?

                Enthusiasm is one of the most treasured features of those who are
                learning.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                  wrote:
                  > During the 1500's women very often had names of the form
                  > O<theme>. If you watch the Samurai trilogy by Inagaki you will meet a
                  > few women with this sort of name during the early 1600's.
                  > Unfortunately, I am in the middle of relocating and my sources are
                  > about five hours from here at the moment. So, please do not hold my
                  > feet to the fire over dates and stuff.

                  Kato-hime, have you been here yet? It includes a discussion of the "O-
                  " name forms, which may give you some ideas, assuming you like that form.
                  http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html

                  > I have no problem being "evil" however!
                  Yes, but there's no need to advertise. ;-> One can be far more evil
                  and get away with it if everyone thinks you're sweet and harmless.

                  > > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
                  > > appreciate any and all help given.
                  Baby steps are the most important ones one ever takes. Enjoy the journey!
                  Be sure to check out the Links and Files sections at
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/ for all sorts of useful resources.

                  > Off topic, where might I find pictures or descriptions on making one
                  > of those ladies hats with the veils?
                  Doh! When I responded earlier, I forgot I'd posted info on my
                  ichime-gasa over on the Tousando board. (I plead burnout - it's
                  payroll day and I've been staring at a lot of numbers.) You can view
                  the thread here:
                  http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1149457918

                  http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/7.htm shows their version
                  of a traveling hat.

                • mistresschief
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                    First I must say thank you so much to everyone for all your help! It
                    has been most appreciated and enlightening. I was told when I first
                    joined the SCA that you could only be a culture (Japanese or
                    otherwise) after it had first contact with Europeans. I have since
                    learned (thanks to all of you) that this is not so! Perfect, as I
                    really like the 1500ish early time period.

                    So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
                    would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
                    I pronounce the Suiren part?).

                    On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
                    travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
                    hat". Do you think it will work? Also, any rules on how many panels or
                    how to attach them? What exactly are the dangly cords for and how
                    would I attach those? I have a friend that does kumahimo (please
                    forgive any spelling mistakes!) that could work as well.

                    Thank you again for your help!

                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@>
                    > wrote:
                    > > During the 1500's women very often had names of the form
                    > > O<theme>. If you watch the Samurai trilogy by Inagaki you will
                    meet a
                    > > few women with this sort of name during the early 1600's.
                    > > Unfortunately, I am in the middle of relocating and my sources are
                    > > about five hours from here at the moment. So, please do not hold my
                    > > feet to the fire over dates and stuff.
                    >
                    > Kato-hime, have you been here yet? It includes a discussion of the "O-
                    > " name forms, which may give you some ideas, assuming you like that
                    form.
                    > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html
                    >
                    > > I have no problem being "evil" however!
                    > Yes, but there's no need to advertise. ;-> One can be far more evil
                    > and get away with it if everyone thinks you're sweet and harmless.
                    >
                    > > > I ask you all for patience for my ignorance in this matter and
                    > > > appreciate any and all help given.
                    > Baby steps are the most important ones one ever takes. Enjoy the
                    journey!
                    > Be sure to check out the Links and Files sections at
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/ for all sorts of useful
                    resources.

                    > > Off topic, where might I find pictures or descriptions on making one
                    > > of those ladies hats with the veils?
                    > Doh! When I responded earlier, I forgot I'd posted info on my
                    > ichime-gasa over on the Tousando board. (I plead burnout - it's
                    > payroll day and I've been staring at a lot of numbers.) You can view
                    > the thread here:

                    http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1149457918

                    > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/7.htm shows their version
                    > of a traveling hat.
                    >
                    > Saionji no Hanae
                    > West Kingdom

                  • mistresschief
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Oops! It's actually under "hat pictues". I understand that the hat
                      diameter should be wider than your shoulders (this one is about a
                      centimeter less wide) but I have really wide shoulders so even that
                      really nice and expensive ichime gasa wouldn't be wide enough. I could
                      still make it work though, right?

                      Thanks again!

                      Monika

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006

                        > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
                        > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
                        > I pronounce the Suiren part?).

                        Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
                        Ren & Stimpy.
                        However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
                        nun or something?

                        Your humble Servant
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                          > On the hat front, I recently purchased a hat that might do for a
                          > travelling hat. I put the pictures in the photos section under "my
                          > hat". Do you think it will work?

                          It looks awfully small, given your description. Here's a shot of me in
                          my old one at www.wodefordhall.com/windyday.jpg. THAT one looks
                          awfully small, which is why I pounced on the newer one I found at the
                          flea market.

                          I generally do four equal sided panels. They need to open in the
                          front, but the other three I stitch together part way down to prevent
                          tangling. Sew the panels into the brim of the hat or use straight pins
                          slid into the weave of the hat to attach them. Do the same with the
                          "sash cords." AFAIK they are decorative. 3/8" cotton rope is what I
                          used for mine.

                          One option you might try which could work better for you than the
                          veiled hat would be to wear the hat you have on top of a sheer kosode
                          draped over your head. Not a great photo, but Lady Wakasa does this in
                          the film Ugetsu.
                          http://www.cinela.com/schedule/IMG/ugetsu.jpg

                          Hope this is helpful.
                          Saionji no Hanae, West
                        • mistresschief
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                            Hmmmmm....

                            I guess I just don't get the difference between onyomi and the other
                            one clearly enough. Many people have suggested I go to this site:

                            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html

                            It all sounded plausible, which is how I figured out the alternative
                            name. Are you saying that this information is more intended for
                            Chinese (onyomi) rather than Japanese? And that the Chinese version is
                            more apt for nuns? It would appear that your book would seem the only
                            accurate information for Japanese names out there; at this time
                            however I really can't afford it. I will try my local library to see
                            if they have it (doubtful, but you never know). If you could suggest
                            an alternative online wealth of information I would most appreciate it!

                            Alas, I have to agree that my hat would appear to be too small. I'll
                            have to keep looking, perhaps check out a flea market or garage sale
                            if I ever get a weekend off!

                            Thanks again for all your help!

                            wrote:

                            > Noble Cousin!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                            >
                            > > So, with all this help and insight, and some more research on my part,
                            > > would a better name for me be Matsushima O-suiren? (and just how would
                            > > I pronounce the Suiren part?).
                            >
                            > Sui is pronounced SUE-EE as in calling pigs. Ren is pronounced as in
                            > Ren & Stimpy.
                            > However, these are both ON-YOMI readings. Are you planning on being a
                            > nun or something?
                            >
                            > Your humble Servant
                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                            > Amateur Scholar

                          • mistresschief
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
                              I'm assuming that most people are at Pennsic at the moment (deep
                              sigh).....wish I was! Damn mundane life for interfering with my social
                              life!

                              I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
                              Tatsuko would be better?

                              I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
                              order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like the
                              ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider than my
                              shoulders!

                              Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
                              lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
                              and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
                              time period as well, or just now?

                              Hope you are all enjoying yourselves at Pennsic or at home as the case
                              may be. Thanks again for all your help!

                              Monika

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 13, 2006
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                                > I did a bit more research, so humbly asking if the name Katou O -
                                > Tatsuko would be better?

                                I think (and I will happily defer to our onomasticists) that it would
                                be either Tatsuko or O-tatsu, but not both.

                                > I think in regards to the hat I'm going to have to bite the bullet
                                > and order the biggest gasa hat I can find from Japan; I really like
                                > the ichime gasa but it would have to be at 10 cm wider to be wider
                                > than my shoulders!

                                I hear that. Try the "Warring States" page here:
                                http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.html

                                > Another question I have is about footwear. I have a very nice pair of
                                > lacquered geta; according to a kimono book I have geta are more casual
                                > and zori (the flat ones) are more formal. Is this true in the medieval
                                > time period as well, or just now?

                                A caveat about modern kimono references - they're modern. ;-> If you
                                want to know what people wear in period, look at artwork or if you're
                                lucky surviving examples from the period you're researching.

                                Geta are foul weather gear, specifically designed for walking in mud,
                                hence the ha (stilts). They would also be worn to and from the baths.
                                The bath-house connection is why they're matched with yukata (cotton
                                bathrobes) for casual wear in the modern context, usually for summer
                                festivals.

                                Period zori look nothing like the vinyl wedgie things sold these days
                                for women as dress shoes. They would have been made of rice straw and
                                look like this:
                                http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia21/images/topic/25_5.jpg

                                You can sometimes find them as billed as waraji zori. A reasonable
                                alternative are setta or tatami zori.

                                As for sizing, they should be what you'd think is too small for you.
                                If your heel dangles off the back by a couple of cm, that's about
                                right. More than that will be uncomfortable, less may have you getting
                                your hems caught in your zori (or geta).