Wearing swords

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 2, 2000
      Can someone point me to a good resource on how to properly wear a Japanese
      sword with various clothing? I am especially looking at hitatare and
      hakama at the moment, although I will also need to know how it was
      attached in other situations, if there are any changes. I feel like the
      cords should be wrapped around the waist somehow, or else around the waist
      ties to help keep the scabbard in place if the sword is drawn. Any help
      is greatly appreciated.

      -Godric Logan
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |