Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese name questions

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 2, 2000

      With all due respect to Koop and Inada, Japanese women did at various
      times have adult names distinct from their infant and childhood names.
      (See the movie about the rural schoolteacher for a modern example of
      this.) Kamakura-Muromachi Jinmeijiten pretty consistently shows that
      baby and boyhood names were commonly unrelated to adult yobina and
      nanori.

      If I can ever stay put for longer than a year, I will try to come
      out with a 2nd edition of my name pamphlet which will better treat
      yobina, homyo and women's names.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |