Re: Fwd: Sake making

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

      > I did some research on it while checking on the Silk Road for a story...

      References, please? That's what the gentleman was requesting.

      Many thanks,
    • Rick Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
        Unfortunatly, unless it is a book or article, I rarely keep the
        reference and this info was culled from about a dozen papers, each
        with maybe one line or footnote. I'll go though my Japan Notbooks
        and see if I copied and printed the papers though.

        Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
        http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
        http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
        http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

        Please note: message attached

      • Bubba
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
          wodeford wrote:
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Faolan Macfarland"
          > <faolanmacfarland@...> wrote:
          >
          > I have been looking into Sake, it's history & brewing, I havent
          > really been
          > able to find much 'documentable' references in books or even wood cuts
          > Could anyone in this list point me in any directions?
          >
          > Forwarded from another list. Can anyone assist, please?

          I have my documentation around here somewhere, most likely in a box that
          won't be unpacked until after I move. You DO NOT want to make it strictly
          according to period methods. Much chewing and spitting. Move forward a
          couple hundred years and things got less icky. The more or less modern
          method involves using cultured rice eating critters instead of keeping a
          colony alive forever, but besides that it's pretty much the same as a few
          hundred years ago.

          Note: store bought sake, and most brewed stuff for that matter, is way
          underpowered compared to what you get when you make it yourself. I have some
          cider sitting around whose yeasties went a bit nuts in. No one has finished
          a bottle without becoming severely horizontal. Same goes for the sake I've
          made. It's not as evil, but it kicks like an enraged water buffalo.
          --
          Kagemasa
          mysticz28@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006

            > I did some research on it while checking on the Silk Road for a story
            > I was doing and found out:
            > It was first brewed in China in the area or town of Shaoxing from
            > which it takes it's Chinese name. Then later it moved to Japan where
            > it was called sake. Most farmers kept their best rice aside to sell
            > to the brewers or to brew themselves as the process is very simple.
            > I don't know when it arrived in Japan but it as early for the three
            > first occupations created by mankind are the soldier, the prostitute
            > and the brewer so it was well established long before Hein times.

            The source doesn't sound particularly reliable. Now, I have to
            confess that I am in the middle of relocating and can not do too well
            at citing sources at the moment. However, I believe that there was a
            Chinese travel account which describes the Japanese and their sake
            brewing technique. I do not believe that their technique (ca 300 CE)
            was particularly similar to the Chinese technique of the time.
            Supposably, the Japanese had virgins masticating boiled rice and
            spitting it into a vat to ferment. The process for brewing sake is
            complicated by the need to convert starch into sugar prior to
            fermentation. Apparently the mastication by virgins achieved this.
            Today, a particular microbe (which I do have the name for) acts as
            the active ingredient of koji to convert starch into fermentable
            sugars. Actual fermentation can take place using either wild or
            cultivated yeast.