Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese name questions

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 2, 2000
      Noble Cousin!

      >I was just wondering...would the naming structure you are talking about be
      >the same for women as for men?

      While Japanese women could and did collect names just like the men did,
      their names tended to follow somewhat different patterns. The first
      thing to do when designing a name is to pick a historical period to be
      from. Once you have determined that, then it is possible to construct
      a reasonably authentic name. Women's names have changed several times
      during Japanese history. At one point, women were even using nanori
      which were pretty much indistinguishable from masculine nanori.
      There is a 3 volume history of Japanese women's name. However, it has
      never (to my knowledge) been translated into English.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000
        Noble Cousins!

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |