Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese name questions

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 2, 2000

      The naming structure for women is not quite the same although women
      could and did collect names in pretty much the same way that me
      collectetd names. The problem with women is that very often the
      records do not actually record their names, but simply give us
      so and so's daughter or or so and so's wife.
      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |