Humor check...

  • David
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
      I know I'm probably going to get banned for this but I have to try...

      My current name, Ookami, is not registerable, the reason has been made
      obvious several times here...

      I have a device now, due to a wide ranging post on CalonList...
      It's a humorous one.

      I'd love to have a funny name. Either translates funny or sounds
      funny when pronounced. Not too picky on which or how.
      My persona is a storyteller from 1108ad. Kobe.
      Anything you can give me will be greatly appriciated.
      Arigato gozaimashite.

      David "Wolf" Mc.
      http://geocities.com/elecwolf
      *Warning* The above post is from a bard, read at your own peril
      *Warning*
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@...> wrote:
        > I'd love to have a funny name. Either translates funny or sounds
        > funny when pronounced. Not too picky on which or how.
        > My persona is a storyteller from 1108ad. Kobe.
        > Anything you can give me will be greatly appriciated.
        > Arigato gozaimashite.

        Have you considered the fact that most "funny" names or nicknames are
        not self chosen?

        There was a boy in my high school who used to call me Zelda for no
        other reason than he thought I looked like a Zelda. I'm still not sure
        whether that was good or bad! (I should point out that this predates
        the existence of the Legend of Zelda by several years.)

        Toddler pronunciation issues: My nephew couldn't manage "Grandma" when
        he first started talking. Four years later, he still calls my mother
        "Gum." (Funny if you're three years old.)

        Pet names: My Ukrainian landlord Russianized "Lisa" on me and always
        called me "Lisichke." (Sweet, not particularly funny.) Call me "bunny"
        or "muffin" and I'll probably have to use the smackity fan.

        Derogatory names: Includes things like "Fatso," ethnic slurs, that
        sort of thing.

        Physical attributes: "Stretch" not only doesn't mind this one, his
        business cell phone answering message uses it. Think about whether
        "Sasquatch" is funny or insulting.

        Embarrass you forever names: When you've been witnessed doing
        something profoundly embarrasing or stupid and your friends decide
        that you will never live this one down. If it requires detailed
        you-had-to-be-there explanation to an outsider when used in their
        presence, your friends score bonus points.

        All that having been said, it's rather difficult to try to stick you
        with a nickname (particularly one in another language) without knowing
        you.

        I trod the path of the joke nickname. I believe I know whereof I
        speak. Classy trumps funny every single damn time. However, if you
        like, you can be Makiwara too and we can confuse a LOT of people.

        West
      • David
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@> wrote:
          > > I'd love to have a funny name. Either translates funny or sounds
          (snip)

          > Embarrass you forever names: When you've been witnessed doing
          > something profoundly embarrasing or stupid and your friends decide
          > that you will never live this one down. If it requires detailed
          > you-had-to-be-there explanation to an outsider when used in their
          > presence, your friends score bonus points.

          "But do they call me Angus the bridge builder? No!"
          If you want to know the joke, meet me at a Bardic Circle...

          (snip)
          > I trod the path of the joke nickname. I believe I know whereof I
          > speak. Classy trumps funny every single damn time. However, if you
          > like, you can be Makiwara too and we can confuse a LOT of people.

          Can't seem to get Makiwara to show anything in my dictionary...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@...> wrote:
            http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
            > "But do they call me Angus the bridge builder? No!"
            > If you want to know the joke, meet me at a Bardic Circle...

            I know what they call Angus, thank you. But that's a classic
            illustration of the never-live-it-down nickname.

            > Can't seem to get Makiwara to show anything in my dictionary...

            It's either this:
            http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg

            or this:
            http://www.edu.city.yokohama.jp/sch/hs/higashi/kyudo/makiwara.JPG

            or this:
            http://www.bushikan.com/Karate/HojoUndo%20Page/Makiwara.gif

            except when it's this:
            http://www.wodefordhall.com/Makiwara.jpg

            Go ahead, take your best shot. ;->

            Saionji no Hanae
            West
          • David
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
              A pell! :)
              That is the kind of thing I'm looking for!
              Just needs to fit the male style...

              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@> wrote:
              > http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
              > > "But do they call me Angus the bridge builder? No!"
              > > If you want to know the joke, meet me at a Bardic Circle...
              >
              > I know what they call Angus, thank you. But that's a classic
              > illustration of the never-live-it-down nickname.
              >
              > > Can't seem to get Makiwara to show anything in my dictionary...
              >
              > It's either this:
              > http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
              >
              > or this:
              > http://www.edu.city.yokohama.jp/sch/hs/higashi/kyudo/makiwara.JPG
              >
              > or this:
              > http://www.bushikan.com/Karate/HojoUndo%20Page/Makiwara.gif
              >
              > except when it's this:
              > http://www.wodefordhall.com/Makiwara.jpg
              >
              > Go ahead, take your best shot. ;->
              >
              > Saionji no Hanae
              > West

            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
                As a thought, if you are looking for Japanese nicknames, perhaps Kurosawa
                might be useful here. It won't neccessarily be period, mind you, but you
                can get an idea of at least what makes sense to the modern Japanese mind.

                -Ii

                On 7/12/06, David <elecwolf@...> wrote:

                > A pell! :)
                > That is the kind of thing I'm looking for!
                > Just needs to fit the male style...
                >

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>, "wodeford"
                > <wodeford@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>, "David"
                > <elecwolf@> wrote:
                > > http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
                > > > "But do they call me Angus the bridge builder? No!"
                > > > If you want to know the joke, meet me at a Bardic Circle...
                > >
                > > I know what they call Angus, thank you. But that's a classic
                > > illustration of the never-live-it-down nickname.
                > >
                > > > Can't seem to get Makiwara to show anything in my dictionary...
                > >
                > > It's either this:
                > > http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
                > >
                > > or this:
                > > http://www.edu.city.yokohama.jp/sch/hs/higashi/kyudo/makiwara.JPG
                > >
                > > or this:
                > > http://www.bushikan.com/Karate/HojoUndo%20Page/Makiwara.gif
                > >
                > > except when it's this:
                > > http://www.wodefordhall.com/Makiwara.jpg
                > >
                > > Go ahead, take your best shot. ;->
                > >
                > > Saionji no Hanae
                > > West

              • John Lyon
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
                  I am reminded of something that came up a couple of years ago with my little
                  group here. We had 3 japanese personas in Korsvag, One with a Bear theme,
                  myself going for a Lion, and it occured to us that if we could just get the
                  last guy to adopt a Tiger persona we would be set. I designed a banner for
                  the three of us. It was 3 pawprints in an arc (Lion, bear, and tiger
                  respectively) on a Yellow brick background over the Kanji for shock or
                  surprise. We figured that maybe 4 people a year would get the joke but that
                  would be part of the fun of it.

                  If you are looking for a "funny" name you might want to consult with the
                  leader of House Clovenshield, his name is Nissan Maxima. Here is a picture
                  of him and I duking it out at Pennsic '05.
                  http://www.clovenshield.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album25&id=acx

                  On 7/13/06, Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.) <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                  > As a thought, if you are looking for Japanese nicknames, perhaps
                  > Kurosawa
                  > might be useful here. It won't neccessarily be period, mind you, but you
                  > can get an idea of at least what makes sense to the modern Japanese mind.
                  >
                  > -Ii
                  >

                  > On 7/12/06, David <elecwolf@... <elecwolf%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > A pell! :)
                  > > That is the kind of thing I'm looking for!
                  > > Just needs to fit the male style...
                  > >

                  > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com><sca-jml%40yahoogro
                  > ups.com>, "wodeford"
                  > > <wodeford@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com><sca-jml%40yahoogro
                  > ups.com>, "David"
                  >
                  > > <elecwolf@> wrote:
                  > > > http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
                  > > >
                  > > > I know what they call Angus, thank you. But that's a classic
                  > > > illustration of the never-live-it-down nickname.

                  > > > It's either this:
                  > > > http://pages.infinit.net/natin/samurai/images/makiwara.jpg
                  > > >
                  > > > or this:
                  > > > http://www.edu.city.yokohama.jp/sch/hs/higashi/kyudo/makiwara.JPG
                  > > >
                  > > > or this:
                  > > > http://www.bushikan.com/Karate/HojoUndo%20Page/Makiwara.gif
                  > > >
                  > > > except when it's this:
                  > > > http://www.wodefordhall.com/Makiwara.jpg
                  > > >
                  > > > Go ahead, take your best shot. ;->
                  > > >
                  > > > Saionji no Hanae
                  > > > West

                  "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                  things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I
                  take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
                  -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

                  John Lyon
                  aka The Ugly Dragon
                  aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

                • David
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
                    He was able to register that name?

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John Lyon" <toramassa@...> wrote:

                    (snip)
                    > If you are looking for a "funny" name you might want to consult with
                    the
                    > leader of House Clovenshield, his name is Nissan Maxima. Here is a
                    picture
                    > of him and I duking it out at Pennsic '05.
                    > http://www.clovenshield.org/gallery/view_photo.php?
                    set_albumName=album25&id=acx

                  • Anthony Bryant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
                      David wrote:

                      > He was able to register that name?

                      No.

                      We've had a couple of exchanges about the name.

                      He likes the "in your face"ness of it, and says that "I
                      wouldn't like people who object to the name anyway."

                      My personal take is that I wouldn't like anyone who wants to
                      try to tweak the noses of total strangers just for kicks.

                      Other than that, he's apparently a cool guy.

                      Anthony J. Bryant
                      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

                      All sorts of cool things Japanese and SCA:
                      http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@...> wrote:

                        > He was able to register that name?

                        I doubt it. However, if you are as big, as mean and as tough as the
                        Honorable Nissan-dono, nobody's going to mess with you about very much.

                        BTW, you can CALL yourself anything you want. You just may not be able
                        to register it.

                        Saionji no Hanae
                        West
                      • Horatius at the Bridge
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 14, 2006
                          Does anyone remember the name of the Armorer up in Truckee, CA that makes
                          those 'well sculpted' female demi and full breast plates?

                          Thanks in advance.
                          Goro.

                          "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
                          you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr