Re: [SCA-JML] Re: geta

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
      James Eckman wrote:
      > > Posted by: "Rick Howard" rhoward@... akitsukiyoshimitsu
      > >
      > > Ohayo!
      > >
      > > Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are paulownia,
      >
      > Seems insanely expensive from this place but good info:
      > http://www.paulowniawood.com/
      >
      > This place has it for about $5 a board foot. You might be able to get
      > blanks. Basswood probably costs the about the same...
      > http://www.sustainablelumber.com/lumber.html
      >
      > > If you "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several
      > nurseries that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!
      >
      > Apparently they grow like weeds! Not many people sell it in the US for
      > local use, so you are probably better off growing it yourself. Four
      > years or so it looks like....

      It grows in the mid-Atlantic states literally like a weed. However, if
      you don't have one on your property, you generally have difficulty in
      getting one. None of the local nurseries carry it because it is
      considered a "trash" tree. And, though there are lots growing along the
      highway, we are fobidden by law to dig one up for transplant. However,
      you're usually ok to take the fruit in the fall...but you have to watch
      to make sure you get there before the seeds are dispersed. I found it
      easier to order a couple from a nursery...I think it was in California.
      Once planted, they do grown like weeds. We have one that's about 4
      years old and its probably 20 feet tall! It has also reseeded itself,
      so now I have little ones as well.

      IIRC, the Japanese have a custom wherein a family will plant one on the
      birth of a daughter. When she's old enough to be married, the tree is
      usually big enough to make her bridal chest from. I do know that there
      was some kind of blight on the trees in Japan and so much of the wood
      used in Japan has to be imported. There are farmers in our area who
      actually raise the trees for sale...and I've heard of one family who had
      one in their yard, came home one day to find that it had been cut down
      and hauled away. Sigh.

      Kiri