Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese society?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006

      > Anyone know of any actual (local)groups where the SCA members actually
      > get togethor for training in the Japanese arts?

      What sort of arts are you interested in? Also, I should point out
      that Toronto can be a place to learn traditional Japanese arts. For
      this you might want to contact the cultural attache at the Toronto
      consulate. They can probably put you in touch with people. In an SCA
      context, again what arts are you interested in and just how far are
      you willing to travel? Among other things, Yamakaminari is centered
      in Buffalo.

      Your Humble Servant
      Solveig Throndarottir
      Amateur Scholar
    • Nevin Broz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
        I've been involoved in the Japanese martial arts as well as bonsai for more than 20 years. I was just wondering if you had get togethers on weekends for people interested in the same, (kind of like the medieval knight thing, where they have jousting, sword fighting, etc...)

        All the best!
        Nindja

        Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know of any actual (local)groups where the SCA members actually
        > get togethor for training in the Japanese arts?

        What sort of arts are you interested in? Also, I should point out
        that Toronto can be a place to learn traditional Japanese arts. For
        this you might want to contact the cultural attache at the Toronto
        consulate. They can probably put you in touch with people. In an SCA
        context, again what arts are you interested in and just how far are
        you willing to travel? Among other things, Yamakaminari is centered
        in Buffalo.

        Your Humble Servant
        Solveig Throndarottir

      • David Gillam
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
          Who is where? We need to figure out if anyone is close enough to have
          meetings. After all, Buffalo (NY) is a 10-12 hr drive for me, so kinda out
          of range. For what its worth, I’m from Northern Indiana, And Im willing to
          travel about 4 hrs to a weekend event (still a bit of a noob)

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006

            > I've been involoved in the Japanese martial arts as well as bonsai
            > for more than 20 years. I was just wondering if you had get
            > togethers on weekends for people interested in the same, (kind of
            > like the medieval knight thing, where they have jousting, sword
            > fighting, etc...)

            The SCA is pretty broad-based with people doing just about anything
            which is pre-modern and legal. There are scholae/university/symposium
            events from time to time which tend to concentrate on non-martial stuff.

          • La Tanya Taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
              I got this link from a friend and I am wondering if the pickman costumes the
              children are wearing are period. Can anyone tell me?

              Thank you in advance.

              http://japundit.com/archives/2006/07/11/3016/