RE: [SCA-JML] Re: Geta

  • Susan Campbell
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
      Paulownia wood is an excellent choice for geta. The following link has the mechanical properties and common uses of paulownia wood, and while geta aren't specifically listed, you can see that they and other handicrafts could come from the butt ends of other projects.

      http://idrinfo.idrc.ca/Archive/Corpdocs/071235/071235k.htm

      YIS,

      Mori Matsunomae

      Rick Howard <rhoward@...> wrote: Ohayo!

      Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are paulownia,
      photos taken in the 1800s depict paulownia blanks being prepared to be made
      into geta, and a several references (web and print) discuss paulownia as a
      common construction material for geta in period. The geta that I have are
      light in weight and show surprising little wear.

      Any other wood being commonly used that anyone knows about?

      Yoshi

      Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
      Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient
      things.

        Cool links. What's the traditional wood used? SNIP

        I would not recommend pine if you wear socks, resin!!!

        Jim Eckman

      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
          Noble Cousins!

          Greetings from Solveig! The archaeological site in question has
          published findings. These should include estimated dates and stuff
          like that.

          We have already published the excavation reports of the Kusado Sengen-
          cho site in five volumes. Each volume has an english summary. They
          have been collected in some university libraries in the U.S.A. Please
          refer to the libraries below. Harvard Yenching Library
          Harvard University
          2 Divinity Avenue
          Cambridge, Mass. 02138
          U.S.A.

           East Asian Library
          University of California
          Berkeley, California 94720
          U.S.A.

           Asia Library

          The University of Michigan
          University Library
          Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1205
          U.S.A.

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
            wodeford wrote:
            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Cool links. What's the traditional wood used?
            >>
            > Pawlonia, I believe. It's ludicrously light for its tensile strength.
            > (I have a pawlonia tansu and moving it from the dealer's was like
            > picking up a cheap styrofoam cooler. I couldn't believe I was lifting
            > furniture.)
            >
            > Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom

            It may be difficult to find in this country as most of what is grown
            here is exported to Japan...it is an incredibly important wood to the
            Japanese, including serving as one of the mon for the Empress! The good
            news is that you can probably grown your own if you wish. If you
            "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several nurseries
            that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!

            Kiri
          • rhoward@dwx.com

              > Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are
              > paulownia,
              > photos taken in the 1800s depict paulownia blanks being prepared to
              > be made
              > into geta, and a several references (web and print) discuss
              > paulownia as a
              > common construction material for geta in period. The geta that I
              > have are
              > light in weight and show surprising little wear.

              Could you possibly share references?

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:
                > The good news is that you can probably grown your own if you wish.

                It's that whole having a yard to grow it in thing, though.

                Saionji no Hanae, apartment dweller.
              • Susan Campbell
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                  Hmmm, my earlier replies may not have gone through.

                  1. This link is to the structure of paulownia wood. It is ideal for construction of furniture and geta. http://idrinfo.idrc.ca/Archive/Corpdocs/071235/071235k.htm

                  2. Paulonia wood is sold in this country. It seems to be grown mostly in Georgia, but here is the one source that I found. The prices seem pretty reasonable. http://www.worldpaulownia.com/html/paulownia_warehouse.html

                  I hope that these were of interest.

                  YIS,

                  Mori Matsunoma

                  Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: wodeford wrote:
                  > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Cool links. What's the traditional wood used?
                  >>
                  > Pawlonia, I believe. It's ludicrously light for its tensile strength.
                  > (I have a pawlonia tansu and moving it from the dealer's was like
                  > picking up a cheap styrofoam cooler. I couldn't believe I was lifting
                  > furniture.)
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom

                  It may be difficult to find in this country as most of what is grown
                  here is exported to Japan...it is an incredibly important wood to the
                  Japanese, including serving as one of the mon for the Empress! The good
                  news is that you can probably grown your own if you wish. If you
                  "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several nurseries
                  that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!

                  Kiri

                • Carey G
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 27, 2012
                    I sent this earlier and it hasn't showed up on the list yet so if it shows up twice I apologize.

                    I was wondering if anyone had any references or images for the type of geta with the two pieces that elevate the shoe off the ground? An example of what I'm talking about can be seen here http://www.photography-match.com/wallpapers/4866_geta/ I am trying to have at least a little bit of documentation for each of my accessories.
                    Thanks
                    Agnes