Re: [SCA-JML] More armor questions...

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 2, 2000
      On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, M&A wrote:

      > Rigid ankle protection? That's a new one to me. Please look at my pictures
      > for details, you can e-mail me for further questions.

      Oertha requires, as a principality, at least 3 inches of rigid protection
      covering/supporting the ankle. It's actually there to prevent people from
      twisting their ankles rather than preventing them from being
      hit. Personally, I don't know how I feel on the subject; I do both kendo
      and aikido without any shoes so...

      -Godric Logan
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000
        Noble Cousins!

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |