Re: Geta

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
      > Posted by: "wodeford" wodeford@... wodeford

      Cool links. What's the traditional wood used? Poplar is probably not a
      bad choice though... Maybe one giant chunk of basswood instead? It's a
      very white wood, light, fine grained and not splintery.

      I would not recommend pine if you wear socks, resin!!!

      Jim Eckman
    • Rick Howard
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
        Ohayo!

        Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are paulownia,
        photos taken in the 1800s depict paulownia blanks being prepared to be made
        into geta, and a several references (web and print) discuss paulownia as a
        common construction material for geta in period. The geta that I have are
        light in weight and show surprising little wear.

        Any other wood being commonly used that anyone knows about?

        Yoshi

        Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
        Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient
        things.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
          Paulownia wood is an excellent choice for geta. The following link has the mechanical properties and common uses of paulownia wood, and while geta aren't specifically listed, you can see that they and other handicrafts could come from the butt ends of other projects.

          http://idrinfo.idrc.ca/Archive/Corpdocs/071235/071235k.htm

          YIS,

          Mori Matsunomae

          Rick Howard <rhoward@...> wrote: Ohayo!

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

            > Cool links. What's the traditional wood used?
            Pawlonia, I believe. It's ludicrously light for its tensile strength.
            (I have a pawlonia tansu and moving it from the dealer's was like
            picking up a cheap styrofoam cooler. I couldn't believe I was lifting
            furniture.)

            Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006

              > Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are
              > paulownia,
              > photos taken in the 1800s depict paulownia blanks being prepared to
              > be made
              > into geta, and a several references (web and print) discuss
              > paulownia as a
              > common construction material for geta in period. The geta that I
              > have are
              > light in weight and show surprising little wear.

              Could you possibly share references?

            • Susan Campbell

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006

                  Greetings from Solveig! The archaeological site in question has
                  published findings. These should include estimated dates and stuff
                  like that.

                  We have already published the excavation reports of the Kusado Sengen-
                  cho site in five volumes. Each volume has an english summary. They
                  have been collected in some university libraries in the U.S.A. Please
                  refer to the libraries below. Harvard Yenching Library
                  Harvard University
                  2 Divinity Avenue
                  Cambridge, Mass. 02138
                  U.S.A.

                   East Asian Library
                  University of California
                  Berkeley, California 94720
                  U.S.A.

                   Asia Library

                  The University of Michigan
                  University Library
                  Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1205
                  U.S.A.

                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                    wodeford wrote:
                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Cool links. What's the traditional wood used?
                    >>
                    > Pawlonia, I believe. It's ludicrously light for its tensile strength.
                    > (I have a pawlonia tansu and moving it from the dealer's was like
                    > picking up a cheap styrofoam cooler. I couldn't believe I was lifting
                    > furniture.)
                    >
                    > Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom

                    It may be difficult to find in this country as most of what is grown
                    here is exported to Japan...it is an incredibly important wood to the
                    Japanese, including serving as one of the mon for the Empress! The good
                    news is that you can probably grown your own if you wish. If you
                    "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several nurseries
                    that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!

                    Kiri
                  • rhoward@dwx.com

                      > Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are
                      > paulownia,
                      > photos taken in the 1800s depict paulownia blanks being prepared to
                      > be made
                      > into geta, and a several references (web and print) discuss
                      > paulownia as a
                      > common construction material for geta in period. The geta that I
                      > have are
                      > light in weight and show surprising little wear.

                      Could you possibly share references?

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:
                        > The good news is that you can probably grown your own if you wish.

                        It's that whole having a yard to grow it in thing, though.

                        Saionji no Hanae, apartment dweller.
                      • Susan Campbell
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                          Hmmm, my earlier replies may not have gone through.

                          1. This link is to the structure of paulownia wood. It is ideal for construction of furniture and geta. http://idrinfo.idrc.ca/Archive/Corpdocs/071235/071235k.htm

                          2. Paulonia wood is sold in this country. It seems to be grown mostly in Georgia, but here is the one source that I found. The prices seem pretty reasonable. http://www.worldpaulownia.com/html/paulownia_warehouse.html

                          I hope that these were of interest.

                          YIS,

                          Mori Matsunoma

                          Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: wodeford wrote:
                          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> Cool links. What's the traditional wood used?
                          >>
                          > Pawlonia, I believe. It's ludicrously light for its tensile strength.
                          > (I have a pawlonia tansu and moving it from the dealer's was like
                          > picking up a cheap styrofoam cooler. I couldn't believe I was lifting
                          > furniture.)
                          >
                          > Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom

                          It may be difficult to find in this country as most of what is grown
                          here is exported to Japan...it is an incredibly important wood to the
                          Japanese, including serving as one of the mon for the Empress! The good
                          news is that you can probably grown your own if you wish. If you
                          "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several nurseries
                          that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!

                          Kiri

                        • Carey G
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 27, 2012
                            I sent this earlier and it hasn't showed up on the list yet so if it shows up twice I apologize.

                            I was wondering if anyone had any references or images for the type of geta with the two pieces that elevate the shoe off the ground? An example of what I'm talking about can be seen here http://www.photography-match.com/wallpapers/4866_geta/ I am trying to have at least a little bit of documentation for each of my accessories.
                            Thanks
                            Agnes