Homemade geta phase 1

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2006
      http://www.tamagawa.ac.jp/sisetu/kyouken/kamakura/chusei/index.html
      shows some geta found in an archaological excavation of a village in
      Tamagawa prefecture. Dates of occupation run from the late 13th
      through early 16th century if the Google translation of the pages are
      anything to go by. One pair shows evidence of mortise and tenon
      joinery of trapezoidal ha directly into the sole of the geta. (I'd
      dearly love a more specific date on these, but....
      http://www.tamagawa.ac.jp/sisetu/kyouken/kamakura/chusei/geta2.jpg

      Photos at:
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wodeford/album?.dir=119cscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

      Materials for the sole, a 3 foot long poplar 1"x6" and a 1/4" hardwood
      dowel. Hanao will be made of cotton welt cord used for upholstery
      piping - I need to rummage my scrap fabric stash for something to
      cover it with.

      I definitely need more practice guiding a jigsaw around curves. These
      babies are nowhere near as symmetrical as I would like. Then again,
      these are going to be bad weather shoes, so for a first try, I guess
      they're not awful. Instead of trying to cut and fit the tenon from the
      top of the ha, I drilled and tapped in dowels.

      http://www.egeorgeonline.com/getapage/ has decent directions on geta
      construction. Part III is missing, but if you dig, there's a link to a
      Japanese page showing photos of attachment of the hanao(thongs) here:
      http://www.karankoron.com/hanaosuge.html

      Saionji no Hanae, West
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2006
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! They are being a bit vague about when the
        geta were made aren't they. They do say that the port village was
        inhabited from the late Heian up until at least the early Muromachi
        period. The buildings are of course recreations. I have been to a
        number of recreated or in some cases preserved villages like this in
        Japan and Korea. Please note that the caption for the geta pretty
        much confirms what I have been saying about their use. Please,
        please, please, do not wear them into the feast hall and similar places.