Re: [SCA-JML] Making waraji - heel loops?

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
      On 7/5/06, Rick Johnson <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

      > I think that there were different styles of waraji depending on how
      > you wanted to tie them to your feet. So I didn't worry about these
      > loops and added them as I felt they were needed. Running in zori's
      > is a pain but builds strong toes<g> to prevent your zori's from flying
      > away.

      There were different types of waraji (probably a different type made
      in every village). I've been experimenting with several things.

      1) Create a small circle of straw and 'catch' this in the back two
      loops when you are finished.

      2) Weave the two loops in back together and pull it tight. You may
      even want to put something in between the loops so that it keeps it
      from pulling to tight (but this should be done by the way the loops
      are woven). This is something I've see in dissassembled waraji, but
      I'm still not sure I could duplicate it well.

      -Ii
    • Andrew Benton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
        I am allergic to learning new skills, and have tremendous amounts of
        money. OK, I made both of those up. But if one lived in Austin, and
        one was disinclined to make one's own waraji, where might one purchase
        them? Are there locals who make them?

        Respectfully,

        Kamaitachi no Kansuke
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006

          Greetings from Solveig! Yes, and you see regional variations in hay
          bales also.

        • Rick Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
            I am the opposite in that I love learning new skills and being Air
            Force retired, have no wealth to speak of.
            But I was willing to purchase them and found a number of internet
            sites where they could be found at around $15-$25 a pair.
            The fact that I found that the life-span of the waraji is measured in
            a few miles or days is what convinced me to make my own.
            Why spend that much for something that would last only one event?

            Mo wonder the travelers along the Taikaido would give their worn
            sandlas to the poor for fire-tender as they walked.

            Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
            http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
            http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
            http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

            Please note: message attached