Tattsuke-bakama

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 1:50 PM
      Onegaishimasu!

      I have searched through the list and all I can find is a lengthy
      discussion about the number of pleats..

      Does anyone know where I might find a pattern for Tattsuke-bakama? I
      am putting together garb for WW next weekend, my first camping event
      in about 10 years :), and I would like to make a couple of these.

      Domo Arigatou Gozaimashita!

      Saito
    • Tim McShane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 9:29 AM
        Have you seen Hiraizumi-dono's website on men's garments at
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch01.html? It was the best information I could find on them.

        Basically, I made a pair of kyahan (http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/kyahanS.jpg); I used some scrap fabric oversized to the general shape, then trimmed it until it fit my calves, then used that as my pattern. I only allowed about a 2" overlap where the edges of the kyahan meet--this does gap between the ties to show a bit of leg when I'm sitting; not too big a deal, but if I were to make them again, I'd allow a more generous overlap. I lined the kyahan so they had a bit more body to them, and sewed them to the bottom of a slightly shortened pair of standard hakama (don't shorten them too much--they should blouse out nicely around the knees; maybe have them drop 12 - 16" past the knees, depending on how tall you are). I couldn't find any information on how the kyahan should be sewn to the hakama (ie., should the hakama be pleated, or gathered)--I ended up gathering the hakama.

        One further note--I made the kyahan ties so that the knot was centered on my shins--this is not the way to do it if you plan to wear them under armour (your sunate will press the knots into your shins). In that case, position the ties so the knots will be on the inside or at the back of you leg.

        - Shiro