Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kamakura Monk

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2006
      On 7/1/06, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@...> wrote:
      > On point Number 1
      > "that isn't to say that that Torii gates are just for Inari..."
      > That is correct. The gates mark the enterance to the sacred space. Thay are RED becuase in Feng Shui, red is a neutral color, and it does not interfere with the Chi flow of the space. ( I probley spelled Chi wrong)
      > Hotaru

      I would challenge the reasoning that they are red because it is
      'neutral'. In the classic wuxing ('5 elements': Gogyo), red is the
      color of the south, of fire. It is associated with Suzaku, and as
      such it would oppose elements of wood. To say it is neutral really
      doesn't fit with the overall concepts of yin-yang, as I'm not sure
      that anything that exists could ever truly be said to be neutral.

      However, I think that the red torii can be traced more to the
      auspicious nature of both red and white as favorable colors. It was
      also a fashionable color for buildings in the Nara and Heian periods
      (influenced by Chinese architecture), and that probably has a lot to
      do with it as well.

      Here's an interesting article in Japanese regarding Fushimi Inari
      Taisha's reasoning behind the use of red:

      Skimming through it, it mentions that red was the original color used
      for the shrine when it was built, so the gates (the torii) used the
      same color. The red ('ake') is mentioned as being homonymous with
      words such as 'bright', as in 'bright hopes'. It mentions that it has
      a warm feeling for perople, and that the red gates are often
      associated with Inari.

      An interesting thing I found online: it was an article saying that
      the name 'toori-i' (bird perch) refers to the perch for the bird that
      cried out to help lure Amaterasu from the cave, but this is honomynous
      with 'toori-i(ru)', to pass through and into (the sacred space of the

    • Park McKellop
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 2, 2006
        Chinese, I believe.

        "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        On 7/2/06, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:
        > Red was also the traditional color for the door for martial arts instructors.
        > Alcyoneus

        For particular martial arts instructors? I've never seen this
        particular tradition before--or is it a Chinese tradition?

        Do you Yahoo!?