Name correctness

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
      Greetings,

      I need my unofficial name formatted properly.
      Electric Wolf the Storyteller.
      So far, I think it's Ookami Denki no Koudanshi.
      Can anyone correct this to proper order/words/reading, etc?
      It's not for anything official but I am attempting to write
      a story about a quest I was on at Lilie's and I want it to
      look proper.

      Thank you in advance.
      David "Ookami" Mc.
      Bard in training, fool by practice.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006

        > I need my unofficial name formatted properly.
        > Electric Wolf the Storyteller.
        > So far, I think it's Ookami Denki no Koudanshi.
        > Can anyone correct this to proper order/words/reading, etc?
        > It's not for anything official but I am attempting to write
        > a story about a quest I was on at Lilie's and I want it to
        > look proper.
        Why do you want to be called "Electric Wolf the Storyteller"??
        Why do you want it to be translated into Japanese??

        OK - I see the thing about Lilies, but what is going on and why?

        Incidentally, Japanese puts adjectives before nouns. So it would have
        to be
        電気 狼 Denki Ookami. However, to treat Denki as an adjective it
        has to be followed by either -na or -no.
        The problem is whether Denki feels more adjectival or more nominal.
        There are some compounds in which denki is followed immediately by
        the modified noun. However, the trend in modern Japanese is to
        abbreviate. So it would turn into 電狼 落語家 Denrou Rakugoka.
        Not particularly good. But, that's about it. If you wanted to name a
        theater, it might be 電狼亭Denroutei. Or of course it could be 電
        狼 講釈師 Denrou Koushakushi. Of course, you might deice to call
        yourself 電狼話 Denrouwa (lit. Lightening Wolf Stories).

      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
          On 6/26/06, David <elecwolf@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I need my unofficial name formatted properly.
          > Electric Wolf the Storyteller.
          > So far, I think it's Ookami Denki no Koudanshi.
          > Can anyone correct this to proper order/words/reading, etc?
          > It's not for anything official but I am attempting to write
          > a story about a quest I was on at Lilie's and I want it to
          > look proper.
          >
          > Thank you in advance.
          > David "Ookami" Mc.
          > Bard in training, fool by practice.

          It's awkward. There is no proper Japanese equivalent that doesn't sound weird.
          First, is your name 'Electric Wolf' or is it 'Electric, of the house
          of Wolf'? I would be tempted to just say "Erekutoriku Urufu"
          Are you writing about yourself? Is it in Japanese? Modern or otherwise?
          If you are writing about yourself, you can use things like 'Ware' or
          'Sessha', or similar language.

          "Ookami Denki no Koudanshi" sounds like "Wolf Electric Storyteller" to
          me--it doesn't strike me as a name. Part of the problem is that none
          of the words really seem to be part of a Japanese name.

          It might be somewhat easier to take as an 'art name'. Those have a
          little bit more leeway, as you can come up with a homonym to what you
          look for. I'm not sure what best to use there... 'Rai' might not be
          bad (aka "Kaminari")--it is lightning (the 'den' of 'denki').
          "Ookami" is the hard one to make sound like a proper name. For
          non-historical purposes, 'Rai Ookami' strikes me as something I might
          see in modern anime, but might fit your usage.

          Just some rambling thoughts.

          -Ii
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
            Ii dono!

            Greetings from Solveig! Art names are generally di-thematic and use
            on-yomi readings. There are of course some exceptions especially in
            modern Japan where people are using -nosuke names for art names.
            E.G., Minotsuke.

            > "Ookami Denki no Koudanshi" sounds like "Wolf Electric Storyteller" to
            > me--it doesn't strike me as a name. Part of the problem is that none
            > of the words really seem to be part of a Japanese name.

            I generally agree that there is not much promise for a real Japanese
            name in there.

          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
              On 6/26/06, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:

              > Ii dono!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! Art names are generally di-thematic and use
              > on-yomi readings. There are of course some exceptions especially in
              > modern Japan where people are using -nosuke names for art names.
              > E.G., Minotsuke.

              Thank you, I should have been more clear. When I started thinking
              'Rai' I started thinking of the various swordsmiths (e.g. Rai
              Kuniyoshi, Rai Kunimitsu, etc.) which aren't art names (truth be told,
              I tried to think of art names, and nothing seemed to fit).

              -Ii
            • David
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
                Electric Wolf is my mundane nickname.
                The wolf is electrical... Kind of cyborg is how it's seemed over the
                years...
                Storyteller is my chosen profession.

                I'm not trying for a fully legitimate name, just something to put down
                as title, name of self, whatever for this story.
                ie - The many trials of Electric Wolf, storyteller.

                The story will be in English, my command of Japanese is limited to
                what little I've picked up from $10 programs off the shelf.
                It is just for myself and a couple of friends.

                I mainly just wanted to get the name formatted properly, I'm not even
                sure if Denki is the right word for the 'electric' I'm looking for,
                and I don't know if Ookami is the right reading for wolf as a name.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@...> wrote:
                  > I'm not trying for a fully legitimate name, just something to put down
                  > as title, name of self, whatever for this story.
                  > ie - The many trials of Electric Wolf, storyteller.

                  Legitimate it will not be. If you're cool with that, so be it.
                  Nice Nihonjin boys think wolves are savage beasts who walk the same
                  paths as demons and bandits. I know you know that because you were in
                  on this discussion:
                  http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=research&thread=1119906478&page=1

                  See also:
                  http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=research&thread=1147217506&page=1

                  Trust one who picked a nickname and outgrew it.

                  Saionji no Hanae, sometimes called Makiwara
                  West Kingdom
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
                    Ii dono!

                    Greetings from Solveig!

                    > Thank you, I should have been more clear. When I started thinking
                    > 'Rai' I started thinking of the various swordsmiths (e.g. Rai
                    > Kuniyoshi, Rai Kunimitsu, etc.) which aren't art names (truth be told,
                    > I tried to think of art names, and nothing seemed to fit).

                    Swordmisths can be even messier than other artisans in that a lot of
                    them also affected or were given honorary titles.

                    Your Humble Servant
                    Solveig THrondardottir