Re: [SCA-JML] Easy book on Shinto

  • JESSICA DODGE
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2006
      I recommmend "The Life of s Shinto Shrine" by John K Nelson
      There is another book I would recommend, but I am in the middle of moving, and my library is packed. I will have to address this at a later date with documentation.
      Hotaru

      Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:
      I'd also recommend The Catalpa Bow, although its focus is more modern.

      Alcyoneus

      Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! If you are willing to brave a Japanese book,
      you may be interested in the following:

      http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/imgdata/large/4768400957.jpg
      ISBN:4768400957

      Incidentally, in rustic animism, the kami can inhabit a stick or even
      possess a human being. If you are interested in folk practices, you
      might like to read "The Gods Come Dancing" or "Avatars of Vengence".

      Here is a picture of a Shinto priest in action:

      http://www.hpmix.com/home/hachiman/images/
      prm52.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hpmix.com/home/hachiman/
      E9.htm&h=892&w=1155&sz=160&tbnid=PxonlfNlFIL8aM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=150&hl=ja
      &start=10&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%25E7%25A5%259E%25E9%2581%2593%25E3%2580%
      2580%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dja%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

      The furniture IS NOT the shrine. And, definitely does not house the
      kami. The shrine area is bound by the strings with the streamers. The
      object of worship may actually be a mountain or large tree.

      Incidentally, the Noh Theatre is strongly connected with Shinto. Many
      shrines have Noh stages and in some cases, the stage faces the ocean
      or some other residence of some kami or other. Dance in general is
      strongly connected with Shinto. Many Shinto rituals are essentially
      dances with possibly some accompanying norito (prayers).

      Amateur Schollar