Japanese name questions

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 1, 2000
      I found one name source that talks about Japanese names as being of the
      form:

      Clan Name, Family Name, Zokumyo, and Nanori;

      Under Zokumyo they say thatit was common to use the order of birth (Tarou,
      Ichirou, Jirou, etc.) and that this would sometimes be combined
      (Saburoujirou, Jiroshirou, Jirotarou). However, I am trying to find out
      when this combination came about, what it implied--if anything--and how
      common it was in the 16th Century. Also, the enrichment of such names
      with a prefix such as Shou-, Hei-, Yasu-, Miyo- has me a bit confused as
      to how that was used.

      Were the translations of the name important to the Japanese? I assume
      that one would want to avoid anything that was particularly inauspicious,
      but was an auspicious name considered important?

      Still searching...

      -Godric Logan/Ii ???? ????
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000
        Noble Cousins!

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |