Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese event advice

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2006

      > Solveig -san (?-still getting the hang of this), Thank you for your
      > input. On the subject of sumo, some friends of mine invented a
      > riotous
      > parody of the game, called "butt sumo". Instead of facing each other,
      > players try to shove each other out of the ring, using only their
      > butts
      > (no hips). It's great for keeping the rowdy troops entertained on a
      > slow afternoon. It's more a game of leverage than strength, and
      > entirely for entertainment purposes only though.

      Japanese schoolboy sumo is much preferable to what you describe.
      However, either is probably banned by recent policy.

      > This event will be indoors because most of the reliably fair-weathered
      > weekends are taken by other events. When I spent time in Oertha
      > (Alaska) I discovered that there wasn't too much difference in the
      > play
      > of an indoor fencing tournament and an outdoor one. The heavies may
      > have a problem though, I guess- I'll have to feel that out. Up in
      > Oertha, heavies fought tournaments out in the snow, but never in the
      > rain.

      I know of other groups that have indoor tournaments and even "wars:.
      However, the real medievals simply did not do this., Part of being
      medieval is living with the seasons. This combined with the dictates
      of agriculture necessitated warfare taking place during definite
      seasons of the year. Winter was the off season where you mostly tried
      to survive the Winter. Even the vikings stayed home. During the
      Winter the Scandinavians played Glick, told stories, made and
      repaired equipment, &c.

      > One thought a friend had for the tournament was to have each fighter
      > give a sort of warrior-threat presentation before the fight- like
      > tying
      > up their sleeves or declaring their past victories or somesuch. Is
      > there a tradition for other things Samurai would do before a fight to
      > intimidate their opponent?

      There is a tradition of nanori in Japan. However, I dread to think of
      what a group of heavy list fighters would turn it into. Basically,
      read what they were saying in Heike Monogatari. They announced
      themselves, their rank, their lineage, &c.

      > I do very much like your idea of death poems for resurrections. As a
      > bard, I love getting others to find their inner bard. Folks could
      > compose their own or draw them from a lot, I guess.

      No. No. No. Drawing them from a lot defeats the whole purpose. They
      need to write them themselves. Also, there is little bragadoccio in
      Japanese death poems. Rather, they tend to riff on the transitory
      nature of life and stuff like that. If you want to judge the things,
      then you could rate them on their Buddhist feeling and poetic quality
      and assign the composer a resurrection score based on that.
      Basically, the better the fidelity to Japanese poetry, then the
      quicker they can get back into the list. But, if you really want to
      judge these things, then you need to read the Manyoshu and maybe some
      other collections of Japanese poetry to pick up a feeling off what
      Japanese poetry actually sounds like.