More armor questions...

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 1, 2000
      Can anyone make suggestions concerning how best to armour the hands,
      elbows, and legs and have them be SCA legal with Japanese armor?

      I'm thinking that metal elbow cops underneath a pair of kote might work
      for the upper arms, but I can't think of anything for the hands that would
      pass in the SCA except for European style gauntlets. The legs I'm trying
      to get a pair knee cops for, which I will either hide under-, or connect
      to-, a pair of sune-ate. Rigid ankle protection is also required, but I
      saw some ways of possibly disguising a pair of leather boots.

      Any suggestions and possible armourers that people recommend would be
      appreciated.

      -Godric Logan/Ii ????
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |