Re: [SCA-JML] Advice on a Japanese Event?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006

      > Most of the attendees of the event would most likely not be Japanese
      > personas, but I want everyone to feel like they are included and have
      > something to add to the occasion. I don't want to insult anyone of
      > Japanese ancestry with too many goofy stereotypes though (no ninjas!).

      Well. It's too bad that the BoD has made it pretty near impossible to
      have sumo. Regardless, I should start out by saying that indoor
      fighting events make me barf. So, I may be a bit prejudiced about
      this event. Why do they make me barf? Well, the real life medievals
      just didn't do things that way. I suppose that the existence of sword
      schools in the sixteenth century does suggest doing some sort of
      martial activity indoors, but I really doubt that your going find
      even many Japanese personae who are going to be interested in a
      fighting school event.

      All right then. Make the theme be the Iberians in Japan. That will
      cover your fencers and your rattan people. Of course the real problem
      is that the Iberians showed up bearing matchlocks. However, the
      iberians have interesting clothing during the fifteenth century. You
      can choose between the Jesuits doing interesting stuff or the
      merchants doing interesting stuff. The prospects of iberian conquest
      of Japan were non-existent.

      As for non-fighting activities. The Japanese have been addicted to
      banquets and poetry contests since the eighth century or so. Tea is
      big-time during the sixteenth century as is Noh-Kyogen.

      I suppose that you could insist that each of your fighters compose a
      death poem before entering the list which is read at their "death".
      To re-enter the list after each death they would have to compose
      another death poem. Pretty weird with only a lose connection to
      actual Japanese stuff, but it would rub in the connection between
      fighting and poetry that you see as an ideal in medieval Japan.