U.S. Cavalry (was 7 samurai)

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2006
      Sorry, but I need to point out a few things.

      >Movies and TV show the camels run by the US Cavalry carrying >Colt .45 and Winchesters but the experiement took place in >1857 in Texas, Arizona and California.

      That is a common Hollywood mistake through the 40-60's At the time the Henry repeaters and the Colt cap and ball revolvers were no longer in production (and before they were being made as reproductions) and had already become very collectable. The Colt Single Action Army revolver (Colt .45) and the Winchester 1894 were however still in production, and both easy and inexpensive to come by for the propmasters.

      >This was Before the Civil war and before the 'real' Cavalry
      >existed.

      Ummmm... The U.S. Cavalry has been in existence since the 1774, and was consolodated and reorganized after 1789 following much of General Kashmir Pulaski's models. (Pretty much the father of the U.S. Cavalry)

      >The camels were run by Dragoons who carried the sungle shot >revolver that had to be broken open to re-load and the >single shot carbine, neither of which were really effective >horse-weapons.

      Ok, let's just say it is the gunsmith in me speaking, but a revolver is not a single shot weapon... Kinda defeats the purpose of revolving chambers if there is only one... (Ruger's unsual single shot on a revolver frame from the 1970's is of course a wierdness, but technically it is clap breech, not a revolver)

      Also since at the time, muzzle loading weapons were the norm; these single shot breechloaders were fairly advanced weapons that were seen (by the soldiers themselves) as huge improvements. As a side note, the interesting breech mechanism of the cavalry carbine was removeable from the firearm to reload and clean easily, some soldiers went so far as to aquire "extras" so they had a number of pre-prepared rounds for quick reloading. It also had the benefit of being completely self contained, (thus a functional gun in itself) and many soldiers would carry the chamber as a concealable pistol.

      >So cavalry tactics of that time were to charge with dull->edged sabers (and the Dragoons were given almost no trainig >with the 'wrist-breakers') and club the enemy to death with >the saber.

      The U.S. Cavalry never adopted the "super heavy" sabers in the style of the English Dragoons, (Some aquired them through private purchase) And very few of them were truly dull. Think of a well maintained axe, you might not be able to shave with it, since an edge that fine is prone to chipping and dulling, but it is sharp enough to slice meat cleanly.

      The reason many people belive they were dull is that the wooden (or even paper fiber) liners of the scabbards typically dryrot away, without the liners sliding and banging around inside a steel scabbard tends to roll or flatten the edges down to a miserable degree, thus most historical sabers are now quite dull. (Check out the tool marks on them, most show abrasion consistent with routine care of the edge)

      >Remember 1857 was BEFORE the Civil War and think of what >weapons they used in that war!

      ??? The 1848 Colt Dragoon Revolver??? a 6 shot revolver issued to the Dragoons that was only surpassed in power in 1934 by the .357 Magnum. Very cool pistol, and with it's massive weight made a darn good mace after you emptied it. (Noted in several accounts in the early Indian wars)

      Not trying to pick on anyone, or enter a discussion/debate away from the scope of the list, but I needed to provide the correct information.

      -Takeda