Re: [SCA-JML] SCA official stance on japanese persona

  • mercy67@aol.com
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 1, 2000
      <<We do allow those who wish to portray
      Orientals to do so, but only as visitors to Europe.>>

      Oh, this was classic. I love how people use the term orientals for asian
      people. That's totally wrong and I had friends that were chinese get SO
      offended. "I am NOT a rug..." was one of my friend's answers. Heh.

      Something of possible relavance here...I'm also in Pern Fandom (Anne
      McCafferty's Dragonrider's of Pern series) and as long as you don't involve
      Anne herself, you are allowed to do just about anything. The moment you do,
      however, you will get SO closed down. I think the more people complain to
      the SCA, the more likely it is that they will get annoyed and just start
      telling people to knock off the Japanese thing.

      Just my two cents.

      --Mercy
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |