Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Mon and law and names oh my

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000

      >Why are many people in the SCA so against Non European persona? The letters
      >are not ESAC. I would think the diversity and knowledge from all of the
      >other people interested in this aspect would be welcome. I know I welcome
      >it. Its fun!

      Although folks who are against non-European persona may sometimes dress
      their position up with historical argument, the root reason is primarily
      emotional. It has to do with people's feelings about what the middle ages
      and renaisance looked like. Most people see popular movies and undergo
      grammar school history courses before they begin studying our period of
      interest. Consequently, some folks want rustic saxon yomen slugging it
      out with Normans, or knights in shining armour from the tournament
      period or want saga period Vikings as seen in movies like "The Vikings".
      This is the sort of thing that is going on at the emotional level.
      Documenting contact or just about anything else is not likely to change
      people's feelings.

      My opinion is that Society definitions intended to support shared
      fantasy are inherently much more limiting than definitions based
      upon history.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
        Baron Seamus!

        I first learned about the Society from a To Tell The Truth program in AS
        single digits and actually made it into the Society in AS XI. There sure
        wasn't any "mission" of the Society in AS XI. For that matter, there was
        an Imperium and Imperial Electors not some silly BoD. Further, people
        were seriously considering moving out into the woods and living medieval
        (some actually tried to do this and are still more or less in the woods).
        A hot topic of discussion back then was "were are the serfs?"

        Not quite as moldy in the Society as Baron Seamus but still seriously
        crusty.
        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • elmar schmeisser
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Kass McGann" <historian@r...> wrote:
          > My general opinion on non-Western persona is if they tell me I
          can't
          > be one, I won't. I do 16th century Irish too. I could live
          without
          > Lady Fujiwara

          Had to go there too - I have a western persona (1560's Londonized
          Scot) as well as the same year Japanese. The various "awards" had to
          go to the Scot (Seamus), but with my household, I was Jutte.

          - elmar
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
            > Had to go there too - I have a western persona (1560's Londonized
            > Scot) as well as the same year Japanese. The various "awards" had
            > go to the Scot (Seamus), but with my household, I was Jutte.

            I wouldn't say I *had* to develop a Western persona, Elmar. After
            all, I have studied all the extant Irish textiles and I just couldn't
            see not using that info in the SCA.

            To date, all of my awards were awarded to Fujiwara no Aoi. Only my
            Maunche was awarded to Caisin nic Annaidh, but I was told quite
            emphatically before the populace at Court that both Lady Fujiwara and
            Lady Caisin were receiving the accolade.

            And the East isn't usually known for being liberal-thinking... ;)

            My Laurel, Ohashi-katsutoshi, was the first Japanese persona to be
            given Laurels in the East Kingdom. He has no Western persona, though
            he "dresses down" sometimes...

            Kass
            aka Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
            and staying that way!
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
              Joshua Badgley wrote:

              > I am looking for a copy of the Rodriguez's famous book on Japanese
              > grammar, but can't seem to find one. I have put in an ILL (Inter-library
              > loan) request, but after talking to them, it looks like it might be handy
              > to see what kind of information I can gather her as to what copies and
              > publications are available. I know that Hiraizumi-dono has one copy, and
              > wondered if he or others might be able to give me a helping hand on
              > tracking down this elusive source. Any help would be appreciated.

              You might have better luck if you try the Japanese name, "Nihongo
              daibunten." Since it's really something that's only available "in Japanese"
              that's the title the publishers and libraries tend to use.