Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hello!!

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
      On 6/15/06, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:

      > Ii dono!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > > Solveig-hime, while I understand your frustration, would it not be
      > > useful to provide some alternative references, if some exist?
      >
      > I have. It is called "Daijirin" and is available in several research
      > libraries. Unfortunately, even Japanese kamon books are not always so
      > useful.

      My apologies. I had missed your other message.

      > > There is some
      > > good information I've found regarding what mon were used in what
      > > periods (e.g. Heian period 'mon' are designs that tend to be found in
      > > fabric, while the later kamon appropriated by the buke seem to fit
      > > more of the single 'emblem' motif that we are more familiar with).
      >
      > I believe that kamon actually evolved out of textile patterns.

      That's my understanding, but in the W. M. Hawley pamphelet I have
      floating around here somewhere they note the evolution from textile
      patterns to more standalone patterns as the usage changed. E.g. look
      at the famous 'sumo bunny' mon, or else some of the simple designs
      like the circles with one or two lines through them. Mon which use
      kanji characters as well. These are usually found later, and really
      wouldn't make very good textile patterns at all.

      This isn't to say that the textile patterns disappeared; just that you
      had different mon created as the function and display changed over
      time.