Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Digest Number 2132

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2006

      > I'm going to guess that "peaceful final period" refers to the latter
      > end of the Heian period.
      You guessed correctly. What it said in Japanese was Heian Makki (End
      of the Heian period).

      > This description of the informal winter outfit shown at
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/21.htm appears to offer a "clue"
      > on how to tell whether a woman is married, namely the shorter side
      > locks of hair
      You are again correct. In fact a tradition of women cutting their
      hair in connection with getting married persisted up into the late
      twentieth century.

      There are a number of other interesting Heian customs such as the
      "sash" given to a pregnant woman by the presumed father indicating
      the legitimacy of the forthcoming child. This persisted well into the
      Kamakura period as attested by the Confessions of Lady Nijo.