SCA official stance on japanese persona

  • M&A
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hey all,

      I just got this from an "official" SCA Board member. Guess we should look
      for another place for our interest and hobby?

      I am sorry that you feel that the SCA is not especially accommodating to you
      in your desire to have a Japanese persona. However, you must remember that,
      by our own Articles of Incorporation, we are an educational organization
      formed to study the European Middle Ages and Renaissance. The exact
      citation is from the Articles,

      "II. This corporation is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and is
      not organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the
      Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for charitable purposes. The
      purposes for which this corporation is formed include:
      (a) Research and education in the field of pre-17th-Century
      Western Culture.
      (b) Generally, to engage in research; publish material of
      relevance and interest to the field of pre-17th-Century Western Culture; to
      present activities and events which re-create the environment of said era,
      such as, but not limited to, tournaments, jousts, fairs, dances, classes, et
      cetera; to acquire authentic or reproduced replicas of chattels
      representative of said era; and to collect a library."

      It is not possible for the SCA to be all things to all people -- you would
      not expect us to bend our rules to accommodate those interested in American
      Civil War reenacting or World War II. We also chose, when we were first
      formed, to have a geographic limit. We do allow those who wish to portray
      Orientals to do so, but only as visitors to Europe.

      Again, I am sorry you are disappointed, but, if your primary interest is in
      recreating medieval Japan, I suggest that you search for a group which
      focuses on that time and place.

      --- Lee Forgue
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 8, 2000
        Noble Cousins!

        I agree about the Yamanoue. Aside from its historical attestation, it
        follows a regular locative construction. As for Kemuri, while it is
        impossible to prove that anything which follows the sound system for
        a language is NOT a name, Kemuri is in the class of things which are
        unlikely to be a name. For example, Quidich and Dumbledore are
        reasonable phonetic constructions, but I would be surprised to meet
        anyone over the age of five with either of those. Borrowing from
        English Onomastics, we pretty much know when the name Wendy was
        invented. No we can not prove that it was never ever used by anyone
        before its use in literature, but we have no reason to believe that
        it was. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Kemuri was
        used as a Japanese name.

        | techie.com, msn.com |