Re: [SCA-JML] Hakama

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 11 2:41 PM
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      >> While I agree that "nagabakama" is quite descriptive, Shinsen
      >> Kogojiten put out by Shogakukan only dates the term to Sô/
      >> Chûshingura.
      >>
      > So your argument is that it isn't a Period term for the garments,
      > rather than an inaccurate one. It would be like saying that the early
      > straight swords aren't 'chokuto' because they were probably just
      > called 'tsurugi', considering that straight swords were the norm.

      This all got started because someone was asking about women wearing
      hakama during the Heian period. People were for one reason or another
      failing to notice that these women were wearing two pairs of hakama
      with different lengths. As for terminology, i learned rather a long
      time ago that finding the correct period term for things can greatly
      aid research.

    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 14 10:51 PM

        > Silk is very warm. You might consider the heretical but practical
        > aspects of making your kosode out of something breatheable like linen,
        > which is a good "fake" for certain weaves of silk (and for hemp). A
        > mid weight linen will also stand up and give you the crisp,
        > standing-away-from-the-body look of summer silks.
        Even cotton can be rather warm in Japan during the Summer. The
        important thing is to make your clothes out of natural fibres which
        BREATH! Silk will do this. Asa (either hemp or linen) will also wick
        away your sweat. Which is a very good thing. Whatever you do.