Re: [SCA-JML] Hakama

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 6, 2006

      > Can you explain this please? I thought that (noble) women in the Heian
      > Era wore nagabakama. I am also curious about the "two pairs".

      Nagabakama are actually a later garment, even though one of the pairs
      of Heian period hakama are actually pretty long. Take a look at:

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/1.htm

      Your humble servant

    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 14, 2006

        > Silk is very warm. You might consider the heretical but practical
        > aspects of making your kosode out of something breatheable like linen,
        > which is a good "fake" for certain weaves of silk (and for hemp). A
        > mid weight linen will also stand up and give you the crisp,
        > standing-away-from-the-body look of summer silks.
        Even cotton can be rather warm in Japan during the Summer. The
        important thing is to make your clothes out of natural fibres which
        BREATH! Silk will do this. Asa (either hemp or linen) will also wick
        away your sweat. Which is a very good thing. Whatever you do.