Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: A little event teaser and a request for input

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
      On 6/6/06, Jeff Hawkins <mordici26@...> wrote:

      > A tameshigiri contest for the third martial event would be interesting...

      Well, it couldn't be a martial event--martial events do not involve
      live steel in the SCA. It could fall under the A&S tent of Historical
      Combat, perhaps, but the 'competition' aspect of it might cause
      problems.

      In all, I think it is not the kind of contest you want to hold if you
      are going to open it up to everybody. I've seen too many people
      swinging swords that just make me cringe, and with a live blade I
      would want some modicum of assurance that each participant was
      practiced enough to be safe.

      That said, a more controlled event, such as a demo including
      tameshigiri by folks that you vet and trust, or else a 'kata'
      competition could be interesting, imho (likely to get some very...
      interesting... things in any type of open competition that you hold,
      though).

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
        <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > That said, a more controlled event, such as a demo including
        > tameshigiri by folks that you vet and trust, or else a 'kata'
        > competition could be interesting, imho (likely to get some very...
        > interesting... things in any type of open competition that you hold,
        > though).

        I should add that the "Asian" population of the West is very small. If
        the event goes off, the likelihood is that many of the competitors may
        not be familiar enough with Japanese martial activities to pull
        anything too complicated off without somebody getting badly hurt. The
        simpler the better.

        Saionji
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006

          > - Chinese Character Identification (Most Chinese characters are
          > pictorially representative of their underlying concepts. Partial
          > points
          > will be awarded for creative answers!)
          Sounds like the organizer doesn't know much kanji. Most kanji combine
          an ideographic component and a phonetic component. However, it sounds
          like an amusing event.