Fwd: A little event teaser and a request for input

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
      Forwarded from the West Kingdom List. Silver Desert is in Northern
      Nevada.

      Saionji no Hanae
      --- In sca-west@yahoogroups.com, "frodo668" <admin@...> wrote:

      Good Afternoon:

      First time autocrating something, and I'm doing Silver Desert
      Championship, August 18th through the 20th. (Assuming, of course, we
      can find suitable ground on which to hold it.)

      We're going with an Oriental theme for the event, consisting of three
      martial and four A&S competitions:

      MARTIAL:
      - "Far East" style tournament: Two-handed weapons or two weapon
      styles, no shields
      - Archery Competition: Either a cloud shoot, or "mounted" shoot (I'd
      love to do a 'horse' for people to sit on which bounces up and down,
      but more likely to simulate movement with a bouncy target)
      - TBD

      A&S:
      - Xiangqi (Chinese Chess)
      - Chinese Character Identification (Most Chinese characters are
      pictorially representative of their underlying concepts. Partial
      points
      will be awarded for creative answers!)
      - Fan Painting
      - Costume Making Contest (Will help us replenish our loaner garb, and
      so Oriental theme is not being suggested on this one.)

      First-

      I'd love to see a plethora of people at the event, so please mark
      your calendar and come up and visit us!

      Second-

      Anyone have any great suggestions on a good third Martial activity?
      One not requiring armour would be good, as Champions must have
      participated in at least one martial and one non-martial.

      Third-

      What are your overall thoughts on the events chosen for
      Championship? Does this sound like an enjoyable weekend event?

      Reply to the list, or email me off-list if you'd prefer...

      -Christofe DuBois
      http://www.scahunt.com

      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Jeff Hawkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
        A tameshigiri contest for the third martial event would be interesting...

        wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
          On 6/6/06, Jeff Hawkins <mordici26@...> wrote:

          > A tameshigiri contest for the third martial event would be interesting...

          Well, it couldn't be a martial event--martial events do not involve
          live steel in the SCA. It could fall under the A&S tent of Historical
          Combat, perhaps, but the 'competition' aspect of it might cause
          problems.

          In all, I think it is not the kind of contest you want to hold if you
          are going to open it up to everybody. I've seen too many people
          swinging swords that just make me cringe, and with a live blade I
          would want some modicum of assurance that each participant was
          practiced enough to be safe.

          That said, a more controlled event, such as a demo including
          tameshigiri by folks that you vet and trust, or else a 'kata'
          competition could be interesting, imho (likely to get some very...
          interesting... things in any type of open competition that you hold,
          though).

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
            <tatsushu@...> wrote:

            > That said, a more controlled event, such as a demo including
            > tameshigiri by folks that you vet and trust, or else a 'kata'
            > competition could be interesting, imho (likely to get some very...
            > interesting... things in any type of open competition that you hold,
            > though).

            I should add that the "Asian" population of the West is very small. If
            the event goes off, the likelihood is that many of the competitors may
            not be familiar enough with Japanese martial activities to pull
            anything too complicated off without somebody getting badly hurt. The
            simpler the better.

            Saionji
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006

              > - Chinese Character Identification (Most Chinese characters are
              > pictorially representative of their underlying concepts. Partial
              > points
              > will be awarded for creative answers!)
              Sounds like the organizer doesn't know much kanji. Most kanji combine
              an ideographic component and a phonetic component. However, it sounds
              like an amusing event.