Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Mon and law and names oh my

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000

      >As a Senschal in Caid (with poor spelling) I think your opprative comment in
      >this whole thing is "if people were to take this seriously." Caid has, to my
      >recollection (which isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination) had two
      >japanese tourneys (one in my Barony that I run and one in Hawaii) and I
      >haven't seen anyone, especially my Kingdom supervisior, say one word to me
      >about having to worry about not doing those sorts of events.

      Under the current Organizational Handbook there is no problem with
      non-European theme events. What the draft copy does is insert "European"
      into the definition of the purpose of events. Whether and to what
      extent this one word insertion will be paid attention to will vary
      quite a bit. I know people who will jump on it, and attempt to use it
      to limit the sort of events held in the Society.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • M&A
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
        Why are many people in the SCA so against Non European persona? The letters
        are not ESAC. I would think the diversity and knowledge from all of the
        other people interested in this aspect would be welcome. I know I welcome
        it. Its fun!

        Mori

        > >As a Senschal in Caid (with poor spelling) I think your opprative comment
        in
        > >this whole thing is "if people were to take this seriously." Caid has,
        to my
        > >recollection (which isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination) had
        two
        > >japanese tourneys (one in my Barony that I run and one in Hawaii) and I
        > >haven't seen anyone, especially my Kingdom supervisior, say one word to
        me
        > >about having to worry about not doing those sorts of events.
        >
        > Under the current Organizational Handbook there is no problem with
        > non-European theme events. What the draft copy does is insert "European"
        > into the definition of the purpose of events. Whether and to what
        > extent this one word insertion will be paid attention to will vary
        > quite a bit. I know people who will jump on it, and attempt to use it
        > to limit the sort of events held in the Society.
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar
        > --
        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
        > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
        > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
        > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
        > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
        > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
        > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
        > | techie.com, msn.com |

      • Joshua Badgley
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
          On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, M&A wrote:

          > Why are many people in the SCA so against Non European persona? The letters
          > are not ESAC. I would think the diversity and knowledge from all of the
          > other people interested in this aspect would be welcome. I know I welcome
          > it. Its fun!

          I think it has to do with various people's visions of the SCA's
          purpose. For some, they see it as the study of Western European history,
          from 600 AD to 1600 AD, and anything outside of that is anachronistic and
          they would rather not have it as it ruins the mood. For these people, I
          think that the Society really is too broad and too much fantasy; they
          would almost be happier somewhere that narrowed their focus even more and
          did a better job at encouraging truly period stuff. In fact, if you want
          to truly do any kind of representation of a period encampment, feast, or
          what have you then you will have to narrow it down to a specific time, at
          least.

          For me, I finally came to the realization that the Society is more
          recreation than re-creation many times. It is not a specific
          re-creationist club, but a general club of amateur (and occassionally
          professional) historians who like to express a wide variety of their
          studies. In that light, I see nothing wrong with Japanese personae, and
          encourage them so long as a person is willing to do some research into the
          area. In fact, it is much more probable, to my mind, that a 14th century
          Japanese would sit down to eat or converse with a 14th century Italian
          than a 14th Century Italian would sit down with a 9th or even 13th century
          Italian.

          Still, because we are introducing something that is obviously
          non-European, I also wish to encourage those who take up a Japanese
          persona to attempt to do it better than most people do European. Since we
          are bending the rules, as it were, let's try to do it right, to the best
          of our ability.

          At the same time, the mission of the Society is geared towards Western
          European society. I guess if everyone else gave up their anachronisms and
          non-period items I would throw down my hitatare--at least in this
          group. I don't see that happening to the SCA anytime soon, however.

          -Godric Logan/Ii ????
        • elmar schmeisser
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
            --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
            > At the same time, the mission of the Society is geared towards
            Western
            > European society...

            Mission? Mission?? what "mission"? As I recall from my first intro
            in AS3 (gods - so long ago? no wonder my bones hurt) - the idea was
            to celebrate the ideals of sword bearing societies, and was "kinda"
            modeled after an idealized Camelot crossed with Faierie. As was
            written elsewhere, an armed society is a polite society - and the SCA
            was a rebellion against the depersonalization and its consequent loss
            of grace and elegance in the mundane world. The other old geezers
            among us can correct me, but I don't recall any "mission"...

            - seamus
          • Joshua Badgley
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
              On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, elmar schmeisser wrote:

              > --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
              > > At the same time, the mission of the Society is geared towards
              > Western
              > > European society...
              >
              > Mission? Mission?? what "mission"? As I recall from my first intro
              > in AS3 (gods - so long ago? no wonder my bones hurt) - the idea was
              > to celebrate the ideals of sword bearing societies, and was "kinda"
              > modeled after an idealized Camelot crossed with Faierie. As was
              > written elsewhere, an armed society is a polite society - and the SCA
              > was a rebellion against the depersonalization and its consequent loss
              > of grace and elegance in the mundane world. The other old geezers
              > among us can correct me, but I don't recall any "mission"...

              Regardless of whether there was anything to begin with the Society, or at
              least parts of it, seem to claim that we are a mediaeval re-creation
              society focused on Western Europe before the 1600s. That is what it is
              being represented as. For instance, in "Life in the Current Middle
              Ages" <http://www.sca.org/sca-intro.html> it says:

              "The avowed purpose of the SCA is the study and recreation of the European
              Middle Ages, its crafts, sciences, arts, traditions, literature,
              etc. The SCA "period" is defined to be Western civilization before 1600
              AD, concentrating on the Western European High Middle Ages."

              People are advertising this to outsiders as a society dedicated to the
              study and recreation of the European Middle Ages and so I find it not at
              all surprising that, new members especially, expect to find European
              history rather than Asian.

              I agree, however, that the current society, while incorporating elements
              of re-creation and research, is still based more on this idea of the
              'Dream'. If you want to do hard core research and outfit yourself for an
              army in Mediaeval Germany with a whole army of landsknecht at your side,
              there are other organizations that are more geared towards that
              pursuit. If you want to be a part of an organization of friendly,
              similarly interested people who like to beat on you with sticks... well,
              there are some other organizations out there, but I prefer the Society,
              myself.

              I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I realize, too that this can
              raise many different feelings in people. While I think that discussing
              our place as Japanese personae or students of Japanese history in the
              Society is relevant, a large discussion on what the Society is or isn't
              might be better suited to be eventually taken off the list. I'll try to
              shut up now.

              -Godric Logan/Ii <Daredare>
            • Kass McGann
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
                > I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I realize, too that this
                can
                > raise many different feelings in people. While I think that
                discussing
                > our place as Japanese personae or students of Japanese history in
                the
                > Society is relevant, a large discussion on what the Society is or
                isn't
                > might be better suited to be eventually taken off the list. I'll
                try to
                > shut up now.

                Not necessary, Godric. You and Seamus both make good points. When
                the SCA started, it was a theme party. Today, it is something a bit
                different from what began back in the 60s in Berkeley. Some people
                in our Society are making high-level replicas and doing some stunning
                experimental archeology. Others are wearing sweatpants and T-shirt
                under their plastic armour.

                My general opinion on non-Western persona is if they tell me I can't
                be one, I won't. I do 16th century Irish too. I could live without
                Lady Fujiwara. But if they come down with that ruling, then they
                have to outlaw pre-600 personae and post-1600 personae, and all those
                made-up personae we see running around when the weather gets warm
                enough to wear leather and fur bikinis. <smirk>

                I do re-enactment with other "more serious" groups as well. I do
                15th century Swiss Burgundian Wars, Battle of Hastings (1066), ECW,
                Swedes from the Thirty Years War, among others. I like the SCA
                because of the breadth of what we do. Court wouldn't be so
                interesting if there weren't so many people there. Court in my other
                groups is small and you can't really lose yourself in the idea that
                this guy is King because you just plain know him too well!

                I like what we do. I would love for everyone to have authentic
                persona. But I don't care where we're all from. As Godric said, it
                is much more likely for a 14th century Japanese persona to talk to a
                14th century Italian than a 14th century Italian to talk to a 13th
                century Italian!

                Kass
                aka Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000

                  >Why are many people in the SCA so against Non European persona? The letters
                  >are not ESAC. I would think the diversity and knowledge from all of the
                  >other people interested in this aspect would be welcome. I know I welcome
                  >it. Its fun!

                  Although folks who are against non-European persona may sometimes dress
                  their position up with historical argument, the root reason is primarily
                  emotional. It has to do with people's feelings about what the middle ages
                  and renaisance looked like. Most people see popular movies and undergo
                  grammar school history courses before they begin studying our period of
                  interest. Consequently, some folks want rustic saxon yomen slugging it
                  out with Normans, or knights in shining armour from the tournament
                  period or want saga period Vikings as seen in movies like "The Vikings".
                  This is the sort of thing that is going on at the emotional level.
                  Documenting contact or just about anything else is not likely to change
                  people's feelings.

                  My opinion is that Society definitions intended to support shared
                  fantasy are inherently much more limiting than definitions based
                  upon history.

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 1, 2000
                    Baron Seamus!

                    I first learned about the Society from a To Tell The Truth program in AS
                    single digits and actually made it into the Society in AS XI. There sure
                    wasn't any "mission" of the Society in AS XI. For that matter, there was
                    an Imperium and Imperial Electors not some silly BoD. Further, people
                    were seriously considering moving out into the woods and living medieval
                    (some actually tried to do this and are still more or less in the woods).
                    A hot topic of discussion back then was "were are the serfs?"

                    Not quite as moldy in the Society as Baron Seamus but still seriously
                    crusty.
                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • elmar schmeisser
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Kass McGann" <historian@r...> wrote:
                      > My general opinion on non-Western persona is if they tell me I
                      can't
                      > be one, I won't. I do 16th century Irish too. I could live
                      without
                      > Lady Fujiwara

                      Had to go there too - I have a western persona (1560's Londonized
                      Scot) as well as the same year Japanese. The various "awards" had to
                      go to the Scot (Seamus), but with my household, I was Jutte.

                      - elmar
                    • Kass McGann
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                        > Had to go there too - I have a western persona (1560's Londonized
                        > Scot) as well as the same year Japanese. The various "awards" had
                        > go to the Scot (Seamus), but with my household, I was Jutte.

                        I wouldn't say I *had* to develop a Western persona, Elmar. After
                        all, I have studied all the extant Irish textiles and I just couldn't
                        see not using that info in the SCA.

                        To date, all of my awards were awarded to Fujiwara no Aoi. Only my
                        Maunche was awarded to Caisin nic Annaidh, but I was told quite
                        emphatically before the populace at Court that both Lady Fujiwara and
                        Lady Caisin were receiving the accolade.

                        And the East isn't usually known for being liberal-thinking... ;)

                        My Laurel, Ohashi-katsutoshi, was the first Japanese persona to be
                        given Laurels in the East Kingdom. He has no Western persona, though
                        he "dresses down" sometimes...

                        Kass
                        aka Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
                        and staying that way!
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                          Joshua Badgley wrote:

                          > I am looking for a copy of the Rodriguez's famous book on Japanese
                          > grammar, but can't seem to find one. I have put in an ILL (Inter-library
                          > loan) request, but after talking to them, it looks like it might be handy
                          > to see what kind of information I can gather her as to what copies and
                          > publications are available. I know that Hiraizumi-dono has one copy, and
                          > wondered if he or others might be able to give me a helping hand on
                          > tracking down this elusive source. Any help would be appreciated.

                          You might have better luck if you try the Japanese name, "Nihongo
                          daibunten." Since it's really something that's only available "in Japanese"
                          that's the title the publishers and libraries tend to use.